Snobby Cat? Will only eat expensive things. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Snobby Cat? Will only eat expensive things.

Hi all!

I though I was doing great with Boo, feeding her a diet of mainly cornish hen, quail and premium chicken breast, all of which she loves. She hates liver and kidney but I chop it up very small and mix it with some gravy and she'll consent to it then.

HOWEVER, this does start to get very expensive after awhile... so I had to cut the quality a bit and I picked up some chicken thighs and necks, some gizzards and hearts and some cheaper chicken breasts.... but Boo won't eat it.

She seems to be used to the expensive stuff and wont even touch the cheaper meat. I swear its like she knows the price. She sniffs it and turns her tail to it.

I even tried mixing in some canned with it, but she just eats all the canned and leaves the good stuff there.

Of course like the sucker I am I picked up some quail for her today (she goes crazy for that stuff) so she'll at least have something to eat besides canned but I really can't afford to keep feeding her like this (of course she's my baby and I'll find a way if I have to )

She loves beef but its too rich for her and she vomits it. I haven't tried pork because I read some horror stories about diseases and such associated with the meat of pigs. I'm going to try duck when I go to the store later this week but I worry because Boo will literally starve herself rather than eat something she deems unworthy.

My main question is - how long should I let Boo go without eating before I give in to her demands? I know she just assumes if she waits it out she'll get what she wants, which is always the case. I usually go 12 hours before I give her something else.

Also, do you know any cheaper meats that cats seem to love? Cheap chicken is out, unfortunately.

Thanks

Tiff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

Re: Snobby Cat? Will only eat expensive things.

Shop around. I feed a lot of quail and it's cheap--6 for $7 or so. Each cat gets 1/2 quail at a meal.

You do have to be a little tough. You can't fast cats, but missing one out of 2 meals a day won't kill her and you may need to just say "tough beans" sometimes. Put it down, give her 20 min, and if she doesn't eat it, put it back in the fridge for the p.m. meal.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks, I have a bad habit of feeding Boo a little too much so that's probably why it adds up so much. I'll definitely cut down her portions some. With quail she seems to have a bottomless pit for a stomach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Banned

Is she a kitten? If not, definitely get her on a measured amount. 2-3% of body weight (desired weight, that is) is usually about right, divided into 2 meals. If one is a little larger, the other should be a little smaller. Weigh the kitty every few weeks to make sure you're on track.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 AM
Banned

Ugh, I hear you. Not only does Pico prefer the more expensive meats, it has to be FRESH. So I can't even really freeze her meat for too long or she would just go on a hunger strike. Pico used to hate heart/kidney/liver, but I just gave her quail for like ... two weeks straight and she was bored to **** with it so when I gave her new organ meat, she was pretty content to eat it all.

Now I barely have to put wet food as bribe (though I always keep a can or two handy). If she doesn't eat what I give her, I take it away and offer it to her again at night. If she doesn't eat it then, I'll usually cut a small hole and put a treat inside it (peeking out) to try to get her to eat the whole thing.

In the end, if she would rather starve for a day rather than eat what I give her, I usually give in. =_=

Harley will eat anything, so I give him what she doesn't want lol... no waste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page