Wanting to switch - questions! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Wanting to switch - questions!

I just adopted my kitten, Lyric, last Thursday. I have him on Wellness Kitten Formula dry (stopped feeding this) and Wellness chicken wet food. I can buy a 2.15lb bag of Wellness dry for about $13.00, and I can buy 12.5oz cans of Wellness wet for around $2.00-2.50 (can't recall exact price)

I am extremely confused on where to start and if raw feeding will be price effective. He is 4lbs right now, about 3-4 months old and skinny IMO due to the fact he had worms when I got him, I caught this last Saturday and I got him de-wormed (the shelter did this for me).

8% of his 4lbs would mean I would be feeding him 5.12oz a day. Is this all right or am I calculating wrong, should I feed more, less?

Should I cold-turkey switch him?

What meat (boneless, RMB, ect?) should I start him on, how much of it should be fed and for how long before introducing a new meat?

When should I introduce liver and organs?

Should I break up the 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other organs during the coarse of a week, or daily?

How should I prepare it at first? Give it whole, cut it up into chunks?

This is all I can think of for now but any additional information will help greatly! Thank you,

Cassi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Wanting to switch - questions!

Congrats on the kitten! Starting on raw now will save you a lot of stress later, adults can be VERY hard to switch, kittens are usually easy.

You can start at 8% and see if he's easting it, if not cut back, if he's scarfing it down and wanting ore feed more. Kittens should get as much as they want. Just keep an eye on his weight so that as he approaches adulthood you can know when to start cutting back so he does not get fat.

I would switch cold turkey if he is willing to eat all of the ingredients (meat, bones, and organs) within a reasonable amount of time. If you find you are having a really hard time getting him to eat something, say liver, and it's been many weeks sine he's had any I'd add canned food back in so he is getting some of the vitamins liver should be giving him. But like I said, with a kitten it shouldn't be too hard, just make sure bones are nice a small, stick to cornish game hens or whole prey (mice).

The first time you give him raw I'd just start with small pieces (no larger than a quarter) of boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh JUST to see if he likes the taste. Cats are often suspicious of new food so if it's difficult he might not bother. But once he's realized it tastes good you can start making bigger pieces. once he can handle a meal sized piece of meat with no problem start feeding meat with skin and then later bones until he's chomping through it no problem. Move as quickly as you can so the cat doesn't get lazy. As far as introducing different kinds of meat, you can do that right away too, but it might be good to wait a few days between introducing new meats in case there is a bad reaction (diarrhea), you'll know which meat caused it.

Organs can be introduced right away.

You can feed the 80-10-5-5 over the course of a week or daily, that's up to you. Willie needed one ounce of liver a week. I'd measure out one ounce and then cut that into 5 pieces, same with kidney. He got meat with his organs. The other four meals were bone (2 chicken wings, he could only eat one half of a wing per meal). If your cat likes organs you don't have to feed it with every meal, you can make the pieces bigger and feed them less often. Willie hated organs so the more I fed them, the smaller I could make them in hopes of hiding it amongst his meat.

Hope that helps you out a bit, tell us how he likes it!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My mother in law is not fond of us feeding raw because of the liver, kidney, ect. Is there anyway I can exclude that and substitute it with canned food?

Just a question as I am trying to convince her in SOME way so that my babies can be fed a raw diet!

Thank you so much for the information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Cool Cat

I'm afraid not, since we are dealing with percentages not just amounts (grams or whatever) by adding canned food you are not just adding the vitamins found in organs you are adding more of the stuff found in plain meat and bones as well bumping those percentages up as well. This means you'd still be feeding a higher percentage of meat than you should in relation to organ. I wonder why your mother in law is bothered by organs? It's not like she has to touch it, you'll be doing all of that.

There is nothing wrong with feeding canned food instead of raw except that it's expensive and doesn't help the teeth but if you can't feed raw then canned is the way to go. Just start getting him used to having his teeth brushed.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

All right, I figured I'd throw it out there. Thanks for the response.

I'll see what I can do to convince her, I'm trying my best. My fiancée says she is very squeamish when it comes to meats. She won't have to handle it, but it'll be in her fridge/freezer. I told him, if she is okay with looking at canned food every time she opens the fridge, raw should be a piece of cake, LOL. We'll see what I can come up with...

I am feeding 100% canned right now. It costs me about $60.00/month for 2 kittens. I can get raw meat for $1.00/lb or less. They will only be eating 12/oz a day combined. They would only be eating 5.25lbs of meat each week, which will cost me anywhere from $4.00-$10.00 a week, that is still less than feeding a high quality canned.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

For some odd and unknown reason, I asked her again today and she was so much more open about it. She asked more of what raw feeding entails and she said YES!

My babies will be RAW FED! I am going to the store later to pick up some chicken breasts and will be cutting it up and letting them try it out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Cool Cat

That's awesome! Good luck on the transition and keep us updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page