7 weeks old - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

7 weeks old

I am getting a 7 week old kitten in a few days and I am considering a raw diet for her. But I am not sure of how to go about doing so. She is young and I am not so sure about the bones. Do any of you know of a site that I can take a look at the will help me start off my kittens life right with a raw diet? I want her to have the best nutrition she can. I also welcome any help from your personal experiences! I do plan to keep canned food in her diet for when I need to leave her over night. so a plan to keep them both in her diet (predominantly raw with the occasional canned)

THANKS MUCH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Cool Cat

Re: 7 weeks old

All you need to make sure you do is get tiny bones. If you can but dead feeder mice that would be perfect. If not chicken ribs are probably best, but cornish hens, chop them up and save the larger bones for when he gets bigger, use the ribs now. He might be able to handle some other cornish hen bones, I haven't seen a 7 week old kitten in a long time...if ever.

Do a search in the raw forum for a member named hoofmaiden, she started weaning a stray kitten named Jonah onto raw at like 5 weeks (although she was switching to whole prey, not franken prey).

For general raw feeding info this site is great: http://www.rawfedcats.org/

Th sticky at the top of this page has a bunch of other sites too.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

Here I am! I weaned my orphaned kitten Jonah to raw--mice from the get-go. IMO that's the safest way to go w/ kittens b/c mice are the perfect food--all in one package. While adult cats can be fed the "frankenprey" way, with nutritional bases covered "over time," it's harder to do that w/ kittens who are growing very fast and really need to get it all at once. Mice accomplish that.

Jonah was sickly and worm-ridden when I found him in the road at 3-4 weeks. He was on goats milk formula until 12 weeks (decreasing as we went along), but right away I started offering pinky mice as well. In nature, the momcat begins bringing dead prey back to the nest at 4-5 weeks and the kittens start working on that and learning to eat that way while still nursing. It's important to get the kitten off pinkies and onto adult mice ASAP (b/c adults are much more nutritious than immature mice). Jonah was eating full-sized mice by 7 weeks, so honestly, I suspect you could just toss one down now. He will probably play with it -- confine him to a small room like the bathroom. If necessary, cut it to make sure he know what it is (momcat would bring it to him semi-chewed).

PM me and I’ll send you links to the videos of Jonah eating various sizes of mice. This forum doesn’t allow that to be posted here but I can PM them to you. ?

I get mice online here: http://www.americanrodent.com/welcome.html

They arrive still frozen, and if you’re in their “red” shipping zone, shipping is free on orders of $100 or more. Shipping is discounted in the blue zone. I order $200 worth at a time (that lasts 3 cats several months, esp. as I don’t feed them at every meal).

I kept Jonah on mice only until he was about 4 mos – then I started gradually introducing other meats. He now eats quail, venison, beef, pork, and beef and pork liver and kidney. Mice remain his favorite food, though!

I'm working on a website devoted to this topic (weaning to raw), I'll be very interested in your input as you go along!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you all for your advice!!
I was wondering though, as this is my first kitten, my mom usually handled the feeding of the pets growing up, how many times a day would I be feeding her? I know kittens eat more often and in greater quantities than adult cats because of their growth.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Cool Cat

MINIMUM three times a day, more if you can.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Banned

At 7 weeks I fed 5X a day--a.m., when I got home from work, before bed, and he got 2 feedings while I was at work via an automatic feeder. I did that through 11 weeks, then went to 4 meals a day, to 3 meals at 16 weeks, and he had 3 a day (a.m., p.m., and before bed) until he was almost 8 mos of age. HE stopped wanting so many meals--when he started leaving food, I went to 2 larger meals instead of 3 smaller ones and he cleaned those up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Kitten

Hi all,

I'll also be getting a 5 - 7 week kitten in a few weeks, and I want to start it on a raw diet immediately. I'm not a big fan of mice, I would prefer to feed it other raw meat from the get go, ('franken meat') even if it's a bit more work on my part.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for any new info / tips.

Thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 12:54 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Rilence

I have never had a problem giving a whole chicken wing's tip to my kittens since they came home to me at around 5 weeks old. It's a good chewing toy, and it helps with their dental health as well, not to mention it stimulates them physically and mentally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page