WHen your vet recommends dry food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

WHen your vet recommends dry food

Took my cat to the vet because she was eating so much and NOT gaining weight.
She came up with slightly high thyroid levels but that's not why i'm writing here.
The vet was really impressed with the beauty of her teeth (she's 10) and the glossiness of her coat.

When she heard that I feed my cats whole chicken plus extra liver and hearts, she had a fit.

She asked why I gave them this stuff - she doesn't like to hear they are eating it.

I explained that there is Taurine in those foods. She explained that they can get taurine from
DRY CAT FOOD!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Cat Addict

Re: WHen your vet recommends dry food

Its really quite sad how little most vets know about animal nutrition. At our Local vet school, Texas A&M, vet students take ONE three hour course on ANIMAL nutrition...thats all animals, not just cats and dogs. AND that class and many vet schools are sponsored by pet food companies like Hills (that make science diet, and many rx diets). So of course, they are under informed and biased towards these foods. I think your cats obvious good health speaks for itself.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Banned

Hey my vet done that, I would've asked them what cats ate before dry food was invented...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Well, your vet isn't wrong. Dry cat foods are supplemented with taurine. But taurine isn't the primary issue in feeding a raw diet; moisture is. Cats get most of their water from their food, not from drinking water. So cats who eat dry kibble tend to be chronically dehydrated, which can have devastating effects on the body over time. A raw diet most closely replicates a cat's natural diet, so it much better meets the physiological needs of the feline body.

If your vet is uneasy about feeding a raw diet, she should, at the very least, be recommending a high quality canned cat food to her clients. It is, IMO, irresponsible for a vet to recommend a kibble diet for any companion animal.

Laurie
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Laurie, be assured that my vet is not going to convince me that dry cat food is good for my cats. After my oldest
cat dies, there probably will not be any more dry cat food in my house ever again.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Tom Cat

The most intelligent person I've ever met, a veterinarian that I shadow on weekends, always recommends dry food. He knows everything about animals there is to know yet he still goes with dry food. His defense is that they improve dental health. He is so smart that sometimes I question myself but it seems so illogical to feed dry food. I don't know his stance on raw food but most vets are against raw feeding because since dogs/cats became domesticated and started eating man-made pet food then that's when their lifespan started increasing tremendously. However, I always say that maybe it's because animals have been getting veterinary care more (i.e. being dewormed and stuff) and are also starting to be kept indoors. Also, vets are against it because there is no empirical evidence or actual studies/research and they can't just recommend/support something when there's no proof. It's best to not even mention it in front of them. I'm glad I finally found a vet who supports raw though.

It always amazes me. Vets are suppose to be very knowledgeable when it comes to animals. If dry food really is bad for them then why don't they know this yet? If they really are that smart (and they are, vet school is actually harder than med. school) then they should most definitely be able to figure it out. A few nutrition sessions and endorsements from pet food companies is not enough to blind them from the truth. By the way, I always hear people saying on the internet that vets get less education on nutrition. The vets I've spoken to always say that they've studied nutrition intensely and it's not just a few classes. Idk though...maybe they're lying
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

Here's some info on why your vet really shouldn't be your go-to guy on pet nutrition.

http://rawfed.com/myths/vets.html

If your cat is hyperthyroid, hopefully she is on medication for that? You should also consider I-131 treatment, which is essentially a true cure. Ask about this on the main health forum for lots of info!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010
If they really are that smart (and they are, vet school is actually harder than med. school) .....

A few nutrition sessions and endorsements from pet food companies is not enough to blind them from the truth. By the way, I always hear people saying on the internet that vets get less education on nutrition. The vets I've spoken to always say that they've studied nutrition intensely and it's not just a few classes.
I don't think Vets stop learning after attending a nutrition class. They're bright people who've dedicated their lives to animals. Maybe a horse vet wouldn't know much about cat nutrition but you probably shouldn't use a orse vet for your cat.

My Vet prefers wet food. She's a Cat Vet Goddess who also rescues cats.

Leave Vets Alone!

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Banned

<sigh> No one is picking on vets. MOST vets pretty much coast on what they learned in vet school courtesy of Hills. That's just a fact. A few have an interest in nutrition and try to learn more, but most of what is out there in the vet world is, again, courtesy of some major multinational pet food manufacturer or other. They have to go pretty far afield to learn about raw, and most do not. Those who do often get stuck on these massively supplemented ground diets, which are better than dry food for sure, but not really true raw IMO.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Tom Cat

Vets always tell me they get a lot of education on nutrition but what else can they say? I think all vets are great (some of the coolest vets I know recommend dry food unfortunately). That's what's confusing me. If they have dedicated their lives toward animals (and they have obviously) then why don't they know? Dedicating your life means doing research and reading stuff beyond what's forced upon you by pet companies. I don't even think it's ethical for vet schools to accept bribes from pet companies Pet nutrition is serious stuff.

Instead of promoting dry food because it prevents dental problems, why don't they promote good quality wet foods and recommend people to brush their animals' teeth periodically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page