Pork for my cat? Also, quality red meats for cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Pork for my cat? Also, quality red meats for cats?

So here's the thing - my cat just adores pork. Its by far her favourite meat - we only tried it a few days ago and she goes absolutely crazy for it. She even tries to get into the fridge to get at it!

Though I would prefer to buy it organically and I plan to when I have some more money I am for now buying it from the grocery store. My question is, is pork safe for cats? I would really hate having to stop feeding it to her as it is her absolute favourite and she eats it so well and has tons of energy during the day.

Also, what type of red meat (Boo much prefers red meat and isn't fond of poultry aside from quail) is best and/or tastiest for cats in terms of quality? She can't eat beef - we have tried 10 times and 10 times has she thrown it up - even after taking two bites (very unfortunate because she loves beef). I would love to try rabbit but can't find it anywhere in Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario - I have looked all over for it I have found a store somewhat near to my house (no car so it'll be a long walk but worth it!) that sells venison (all sorts of kinds), elk, wild boar, partridge, guinea fowl, ostrich, bison, etc. the list goes on and on, lol and also organic pork, lamb and chicken. When I get a bit more money I plan on stocking up at this store - are all of these meats safe for my cat to eat, particularly the red meats?

Like I said Boo much much prefers red meat to any kind of poultry. It is okay to feed her a diet of mainly red meat, correct? Eventually I would LOVE to stock up on frozen mice and feed her that, but I'm just not sure if she'd take just yet.

Thanks so much,

Tiffany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

Re: Pork for my cat? Also, quality red meats for cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhondriela
My question is, is pork safe for cats?
Of course it is. Perfectly safe.
Quote:
I have found a store somewhat near to my house (no car so it'll be a long walk but worth it!) that sells venison (all sorts of kinds), elk, wild boar, partridge, guinea fowl, ostrich, bison, etc. the list goes on and on, lol and also organic pork, lamb and chicken. When I get a bit more money I plan on stocking up at this store - are all of these meats safe for my cat to eat, particularly the red meats?
All of those are fine. My cats will take your arm off for venison, LOL. I get a lot on free Craigslist hauls.
Quote:
Like I said Boo much much prefers red meat to any kind of poultry. It is okay to feed her a diet of mainly red meat, correct? Eventually I would LOVE to stock up on frozen mice and feed her that, but I'm just not sure if she'd take just yet.
That's fine. But she DOES need 5-10% of her diet to be bone, and cats can't eat deer bones. Usually quail, Cornish hen, or parts of the chicken w/ smaller bones (wing tip, breast, etc.) are the bones of choice for cats. And mice, of course.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Rilence
Re: Pork for my cat? Also, quality red meats for cats?

As long as they're meat, yes, they're safe for consumptions.
Depending on your country, you might need to freeze certain meat to kill of parasite.
Mine totally love pigs' hearts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page