Trying raw food - Sigma and Whisky's progress report - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Trying raw food - Sigma and Whisky's progress report

Hey guys! My boyfriend and I finally decided to try a raw diet for our cats and I thought I'd share our recent experiences.

I had always wanted to feed my cats a high quality, wet food since I'd learned all the dangers of dry food over the years of reading this forum. After failing to find the kind of canned food that I wanted in Europe (I am Canadian and I live here now), and after recommendations from you guys, we decided to try giving them a "frankenprey" diet of raw food. I was quite sure that our one cat Sigma would take to it easily (and he did), but I hadn't thought that our other cat, Whisky, would have responded to it as much as he has - even the first time! They seem to really be flourishing; their waste hardly smells and they're very active now, especially Sigma who is a bit of a fatty due to eating dry food for too many years... (Sorry Sigma )

Anyway, slowly we graduated them to larger chunks of meat and after a while they were gnawing through them with ease. We needed to add some bone to their diet, though. We saw a Youtube video on Monday of a cat eating a chick and my boyfriend's neighbour used to get chicks and she'd feed one (sometimes two) per day to each of her three cats, so we thought we'd try it. So today he drove out to the chicken farm and got 10 chicks for *2 cents each* (!). All bets were against either cat knowing that it was food, so we just put one down in front them. They were both immediately interested, but within 5 seconds or so, Sigma hissed at Whisky and grabbed it for himself! Whisky tried again but Sigma growled at him so he backed off. Sigma then proceeded to pick at it with his teeth and paw at it. It's a bit difficult for me to describe what happened next, but in the end he ended up eating all of it. It took him about two minutes but he ate it all. I thought he was going to have more trouble with it but he knew exactly what he was doing - I was amazed! The other chicks were frozen so we're just waiting for another one to thaw out so that we can try it with Whisky. I'll let you know how it goes....

As a further question, though, is one chick per day enough food? We give him ~140g (4% of his body weight) of "frankenprey" per day but I'm not sure how much the chick weighs. Is this a complete, balanced meal for a cat? Do they need anything else? Perhaps a supplement?

Thanks for your patience, we are looking forward to continuing on this adventure! So far, so good!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

Re: Trying raw food - Sigma and Whisky's progress report

Great start! No, I doubt that's enough. You need an inexpensive food scale so you know how much you're feeding. It's best to feed cats twice a day.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 06:00 AM
Kitten

Re: Trying raw food - Sigma and Whisky's progress report

On Whisky:

I wasn't sure Whisky was going to eat the chick we'd give him and he indeed had his doubts. We left him in a room with it but he just didn't see it as food. He sniffed it but that was about the extend of his interests. We just kinda figured since there was no blood or intestines or other cat-noms that his predatory instincts weren't being triggered so we had Sigma be our executioner and decapitate the little chick so that his insides would be exposed. He did show more interest after this but still not enough to start dismembering it - he just kind of licked the neck and that's it. It wasn't till after we put some of his old food fish food on the corpse and that did the trick!

Once he was trying to eat it, he seemed to do well! He almost ate the whole thing. I'd say there was about a quarter left of it which we gave to sigma for his execution-fee.

We're now a day ahead and both seem fine. They're energetic (and we're just so through the night) and they behave normally.
It was a little hard to stomach at first but it gave me a great sense of fulfillment to see our cats behave a little bit closer to their natural prey and thus their natural eating selection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page