raw food newbie moving to Ecuador, confused about supplement - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

raw food newbie moving to Ecuador, confused about supplement

Hello All -

My cat Ralph and I are moving permanently to Ecuador to be with my fiancee. Ralph is/was diabetic...I say was because he hasnt needed insulin for years because he's been on a 95% meat cat food with no carbs, and has been doing very well.

The story is that he and I will be moving to Ecuador in Sept and there simply is NO canned food there, only kibble. So, I plan to make him his own food and have started feeding him raw chicken and hearts - he loves them. But, all the fancy supplements that are included in most of the raw food 'recipes' I've seen online is going to be near impossible there.

What I know I CAN find is whole chickens, a butcher to grind them including bone, and additional organs are packaged and sold separately if I need more than what's inside the chicken. Fish is also readily available. Smaller game birds are not readily available. Psyllium husk I think I can find find, but no salmon oil.

Is it necessary to add vitamins and minerals to raw cat food? Is raw feeding a cat as complicated as the internet makes it seem?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Corrie and Ralph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Senior Cat

Re: raw food newbie moving to Ecuador, confused about supplement

I don't have much time but check out this site for more info: http://rawfedcats.org/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Banned

Yes-- read the link above in its entirety. You don't need to grind--please DON'T! Let the kitty use his own teeth! Generally chicken bones are on the big side for cats--quail or small chickens (known as Cornish game hens in the States) or other small game-type birds are better. You don't need supplements--feed 80-85% meat, 5-10% bone, and 10% organ (half of which must be liver), over time. Note that heart and gizzards are fed as MEAT, not organ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you Cat Addict, your kitties are gorgeous.

On the topic of bones....I am not sure if I'll be able to find smaller game birds than chickens readily in Ecuador. I know I can find lots of fish...is it ok to feed fish bones???? Is there another way to get the bones in his diet?

It is good to know I don't need vitamin supplements...it does make sense that everything a cat needs in its diet would come from its natural source of food.

Also, do people always feed totally raw or do some sear the meat? In Ecuador in particular I am a bit concerned about parasites...not bacteria so much as worms.

Thank you everyone!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by corriewinter
Thank you Cat Addict, your kitties are gorgeous.
Thanks! Just FYI-- my screenname is hoofmaiden--"Cat Addict" is my board designation (means I've been here a while and posted a lot). You're "Kitten" b/c you're new.
Quote:
On the topic of bones....I am not sure if I'll be able to find smaller game birds than chickens readily in Ecuador. I know I can find lots of fish...is it ok to feed fish bones???? Is there another way to get the bones in his diet?
Fish are o.k. occasionally, but not as a main part of the diet. I'm sure you can find quail and things like that. Keep looking.
Quote:
Also, do people always feed totally raw or do some sear the meat? In Ecuador in particular I am a bit concerned about parasites...not bacteria so much as worms.
If you're concerned about that, freeze the meat for 30 days before feeding. Just keep some in the freezer at all times and label the bags as to the date you put it in there. That will kill any parasites.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Cool Cat

I find chicken wings are fine for bones, as well as chicken ribs (greats bones for starters too). Other chicken bones are usually too big. You don't need to supplement, if you can't get fish oil feeding sardines or something (small, oily fish) once a weeks should be fine. You can also feed the meat of larger animals like lamb and beef, just not the bones. The more variety the better. I'm not sure about parasites in Ecuador so avoid pork and freeze all other meats for a long time before feeding...like a month maybe (someone else might know better about length of time).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page