Want to make sure I am doing this correctly - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Want to make sure I am doing this correctly

I took a break from raw for a while. One of my cats vomited the quail he ate and it was EXTREMELYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY stinky, abnormal vomit (smelled almost like very stinky foul poop). When he was vomiting, he was also choking. He was choking for a good 3-4 minutes on the bones he was trying to cough up. And I never cut up my bones, I always feed half a quail. After that, he didn't eat for a day or two and he had a huge personality change and was being extremely lethargic. I thought that maybe it could be a bacterial infection from the raw meat or maybe the meat was bad since I bought it from an asian supermarket. I had been feeding a raw diet for months and nothing like that happened. I guess I just freaked out. I started feeding Wellness right after the vomiting (although he didn't eat for a day and a half) and I'm still feeding Wellness. It's been over two weeks. I don't like feeding commercial pet food...I want to go back to a raw diet. I forgot how horrible their poo can smell when they're not on raw

This time, however, I am only buying organic meat from Whole Foods. Do you think they will have organic liver and kidney there? I went the other day and they do have organic quail (for like three times the price I can buy quail from an asian supermarket though ) Do you think purchasing organic meat will be more beneficial and safer for my cats? Of course I am aware that grocery meat isn't dangerous but I'm just wondering if it's still a better option to go with organic?

OK so now I am worried about another thing...I am worried I might deprive my cats of certain nutrients. Like maybe i am not giving them enough organ meat or bones so please go over this and let me know it's correct.

Every week I give each of them 2 oz of chicken liver, 2 oz of beef kidney, I give them however much muscle meat they want per day (usually 4 oz or more for each cat, they are still kittens and have some weight to gain), and I give each of them 2.5 quails per week. I feed them mostly beef, beef heart, turkey, and sometimes chicken (they don't like it that much) so I do feed a variety of muscle meat. I do the frankenprey model so the 2 oz of chicken liver or beef kidney is divided into 3-4 separate meals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Banned

Re: Want to make sure I am doing this correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010
I took a break from raw for a while. One of my cats vomited the quail he ate and it was EXTREMELYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY stinky, abnormal vomit (smelled almost like very stinky foul poop). When he was vomiting, he was also choking. He was choking for a good 3-4 minutes on the bones he was trying to cough up. And I never cut up my bones, I always feed half a quail. After that, he didn't eat for a day or two and he had a huge personality change and was being extremely lethargic. I thought that maybe it could be a bacterial infection from the raw meat or maybe the meat was bad since I bought it from an asian supermarket. I had been feeding a raw diet for months and nothing like that happened. I guess I just freaked out.
I think that was a fluke. He wasn't actually choking: He was trying to get the food out that he failed to chew sufficiently. Cats are VERY well suited to eating this way and they can handle it. He got it out, after all. And yeah, anything that's been in the stomach for even 10 min. smells NASTY b/c the carnivore's GI tract works FAST. It wasn't the quail, and it certainly wasn't b/c it wasn't "organic" (which can mean absolutely NOTHING, really). I feed quail from an Asian market to 3 cats 3-4 times a week and have never had anything remotely like that happen--once your cat learns how big pieces he can swallow, he'll be fine.
Quote:
This time, however, I am only buying organic meat from Whole Foods. Do you think they will have organic liver and kidney there? I went the other day and they do have organic quail (for like three times the price I can buy quail from an asian supermarket though ) Do you think purchasing organic meat will be more beneficial and safer for my cats? Of course I am aware that grocery meat isn't dangerous but I'm just wondering if it's still a better option to go with organic?
I buy most of my chicken at Whole Foods but only b/c I'm vegan and I'm interested in trying to feed meat from animals who were half-way humanely treated. I get most of my stuff for free (see my post re: my most recent free venison haul!) but the dogs eat chicken for bone, and I get that at WF. I do not really believe that organic is "better" in any other way, though--google this and you'll find many discussions of this very issue. If you can find LOCALLY GROWN meat, that probably really IS better--not only fresher but also not contributing to global warming b/c it wasn't transported 500 miles in a truck, etc.

My WF does not sell quail and while they SOMETIMES have liver, they have never had kidney or even heart. I get all my organs at the Asian grocery.
Quote:
OK so now I am worried about another thing...I am worried I might deprive my cats of certain nutrients. Like maybe i am not giving them enough organ meat or bones so please go over this and let me know it's correct.

Every week I give each of them 2 oz of chicken liver, 2 oz of beef kidney, I give them however much muscle meat they want per day (usually 4 oz or more for each cat, they are still kittens and have some weight to gain), and I give each of them 2.5 quails per week. I feed them mostly beef, beef heart, turkey, and sometimes chicken (they don't like it that much) so I do feed a variety of muscle meat. I do the frankenprey model so the 2 oz of chicken liver or beef kidney is divided into 3-4 separate meals.
Sounds fine. I can't tell you if the oz. are right b/c I don't know how much the cats weigh, how old they are, etc. But that's essentially how I did it when I fed only frankenprey. I now also feed mice, so things are a little different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page