Raw diet success with dog, now cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Raw diet success with dog, now cat?

Rocky the dog has now been switched to raw. He was the first one because he's had a food problem for a while. (No interest or indifference to eating commerical food no matter what brand, type of meat, wet or dry. Feeding him was a chore.)

He's been on it for 4 days and on the 4th day, he was actively TELLING me to feed him. Barking excitedly and leading me to the fridge with tail wagging and dancing the 'feed me' dance.

Before I switch Miu the cat over, I have some questions. Miu appears to be very food driven to the point of aggression but only in the morning. (She's fed twice a day). I've been attacked and bitten if I feed her too late for her liking. I always feed at 7am, but sometimes she'll start bugging me as early as 5am. This morning she bit me hard enough to draw blood. She seems more calm and waits patiently her evening meal though which is fed around 6pm. Does this mean I'm not feeding her enough at dinner time?

Would feeding raw make any difference to this? Is it even related?

I intend to continue feeding Miu twice a day. I'm wondering how it works out if I feed wet commercial in the mornings and raw at night. If it's 2-3% body weight daily, should I feed 1-1.5% for her dinner since she'll get a wet meal in the morning? I also have some Orijen dry food leftover. Is it okay if I mix up her morning wet along with the dry to finish it off?

Also, I'm very wary of starting her since she's had some LB problems lately. If she gets the runs, she might poop outside the LB again. How would I start her off? Can I just start on quail (with bone)? Or do I start on boneless chicken? (wouldn't her stools be soft?)

Seeing Rocky the dog crunching away at quail bone, skin and all, I feel quite confident that Miu will be able to handle a quail no problem at all. I feel a bit silly that I was so squeamish about the bone before. I consider Rocky a bit wimpy so if he can handle it, Miu will totally get it because she's the feisty one. I call her my savage little carnivore now. LOL!

Last edited by Alpaca; 07-09-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Banned

Try her on 1/4 quail, and see how she does. The biggest issue w/ most cats used to kibble/canned is complete lack of jaw strength. So you may need to cut up her meat a bit for a while until she gets stronger. I would not cut up bone-in stuff any smaller than a quail quarter, though. Feed 2X a day--bone-in at one meal, boneless at the other. Don't add liver or kidney until she's been eating raw a week or so and her stools look good.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpaca View Post
Miu appears to be very food driven to the point of aggression but only in the morning. (She's fed twice a day). I've been attacked and bitten if I feed her too late for her liking. I always feed at 7am, but sometimes she'll start bugging me as early as 5am. This morning she bit me hard enough to draw blood. She seems more calm and waits patiently her evening meal though which is fed around 6pm. Does this mean I'm not feeding her enough at dinner time?

Would feeding raw make any difference to this? Is it even related?
Maybe, maybe not. She may well feel more satisfied when fed raw.

You could try giving her a small bedtime snack to keep her full overnight. But try just getting her on raw first--see if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden View Post
Try her on 1/4 quail, and see how she does. The biggest issue w/ most cats used to kibble/canned is complete lack of jaw strength. So you may need to cut up her meat a bit for a while until she gets stronger. I would not cut up bone-in stuff any smaller than a quail quarter, though. Feed 2X a day--bone-in at one meal, boneless at the other. Don't add liver or kidney until she's been eating raw a week or so and her stools look good.
1 meal bone-in and 1 meal boneless, isn't that too much bone?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpaca View Post
1 meal bone-in and 1 meal boneless, isn't that too much bone?
Not really. Long-term, I would probably feed more like 1 in 3 meals bone-in, but short-term, to ensure firm stools while transitioning, a little extra is better.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Okay, I think I'm ready...was delayed with some stuff.

I know it's obsessive, but I've been worried about how I'm going to be able to manage both furkids at the same time. How do you guys feed your multiple furkids? I'm a worrywart so when I feed Rocky the dog, I sit there and watch him the entire time. However, I can't do that if both of them are eating at the same time. I'm wanting to isolate them in case they fight over the food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page