picky eaters - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

picky eaters

I have been feeding my cats raw food for more than a year now. There is a phenomenon that I do not understand that happens regularly.

I will feed everyone and one or two will go up to the food and say yuck and then walk away.

I used to feed right out of the fridge, but i thought maybe it was too cold, so now I always warm their food for them a bit...
this still happens.

Now when one of them decides she doesn't like the food much (they take turns) someone else will eat it. Or most of it.. then they'll come back later and decide, oh, I did want to eat that after all. Sometimes there is something still in the dish, sometimes not.

They only do this with raw food. thanks for your thoughts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

bump.

I figured out if i add a tiny amount of canned cat food and mix well they will scarf down everything. I think the raw food doesn't have enough of a smell for my dear kitties.

Comments?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Cat

Are you giving them different meat every meal/day?
This happen to my cat too. I have been feeding my cats raw for 8 months.
When they did not eat, I will add treats, canned food, tuna etc.
Slowly that does not work for one of my cats. He is eating very little, and I almost had to force him the first bite.
2 weeks ago, he is not eating canned food, baby food, not to mention raw. The only things he wanted to eat was treats and dry food.

When I brought him to the vet, the vet said I am building a picky cat. So he wants me to give him the same food for at least 3 weeks, so he knows he is not getting anything better.

This is my 7th day of giving him the same food (chicken), and now he does not even hesitate when I brought out the food.

Just gonna be tough sometimes. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Senior Cat

I want to know the same thing as Koobe - how much variety are you feeding?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

The raw meat doesn't vary much except for the amount of canned food i mix in it.
IF they don't eat their food, I pick it up and put it down later. Of course the problem is some of them will clean the other's plate up.
I also give them a small amount of dry food at a different time of the day. Dry food (about a tablespoon per cat) does not sit in the bowl for more than a minute.

Koobe, good advice!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Senior Cat

Can you get differant kinds of meat?

I haven't had problems with mine refusing to eat their food but they do get a fairly good variety. Other than their bone in meals I try to not feed the same type of meat through out a ten day period. So for example:

Day 1: chicken necks and beef liver
Day 2: pork and beef kidney
Day 3: turkey drumstick meat + a sardine per cat
Day 4: chicken necks and chicken liver
Day 5: beef and sweetbreads
Day 6: egg (raw yolk, cooked white) and ground beef, pork, or lamb
Day 7: chicken drumsticks and beef liver
Day 8: beef heart and beef kidney
Day 9: chicken gizzards/hearts
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

wow, what an interesting diet! I guess I could. I have a bit of a freezer space problem, so I might not be able to match what you are doing exactly.
I make a batch up about once every 3 weeks and then make daily portions etc.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:06 AM
Cat

I was feeding different meat every day before too.
It was just Cheetah (the one on the left) figures it out and just eat a little when he is really hungry. He was waiting for better stuff.

Now I listen to the vet to just give him 1 meat for 3 weeks, but I am not giving up variety. I am planning to give them the same meat for 2-4 weeks, then switch to another meat.

Of course I have heard others' cats will only eat when they were fed different meat every day/meal. I guess you can try both and figure out what your cats like.

My Panther always eat up Cheetah's plate too, I have to separate them a lot. The good thing is whenever Cheetah starts eating Panther will walk away and let him eat.

When Cheetah was not interested in raw food nor canned food, the only thing he would eat was dry. So maybe your cats are waiting for the dry every day? Is it possible that you cut out the dry or just give them once a week as a treat? (I still have a lot of dry at home. I had them before I know better about cat nutrition.)

Keep us updated please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page