Considering the raw diet¯ - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Considering the raw diet…

I just want to know a couple things first before making the final decision…

If a cat has been raised on commercial dry and wet food, without ever even having had real cooked meat, how does raw meat fair with them? I know they are designed by God (pardon, I am a Christian) to eat raw meats and whatnot, but in general people who’ve never had certain things their whole lives, such as for example, rare meat, it’s typical that their bodies can’t handle it because they’ve had no exposure to it… which I know to be due to the good bacteria in the gastric juices, which develop over time so that the body CAN deal with that certain type of food. So, in a housecat’s case which was raised on no real meat, cooked or raw, would this make them sickly at first or pose any other risk?

Also, do the raw meats pose a risk of parasitic infestation, such as worms or other nasty and dangerous microbes? You see, I do not administer parasite medications or worm medicine to either of my furkids (as they are strictly indoor), not even our dogs and so if the raw meat did pose a threat to them via parasites, I’d have to start and to be honest, I really don’t think I could afford that or checkups just for this diet when wet food seems to do just fine and without the need of the checkups and meds.

As for the other thing, what about the risks of salmonella and E-Coli? I realize cats aren’t exactly the same as us humans, but… well, you know. I don’t want to put them at risk for this if it does affect them as severely as it can affect us.

And lastly, is this a good formula for a raw meal? I’m a little weary about the raw egg yolks…

Thank you so much in advance for your advice and help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus89 View Post
I just want to know a couple things first before making the final decision…

If a cat has been raised on commercial dry and wet food, without ever even having had real cooked meat, how does raw meat fair with them? I know they are designed by God (pardon, I am a Christian) to eat raw meats and whatnot, but in general people who’ve never had certain things their whole lives, such as for example, rare meat, it’s typical that their bodies can’t handle it because they’ve had no exposure to it… which I know to be due to the good bacteria in the gastric juices, which develop over time so that the body CAN deal with that certain type of food. So, in a housecat’s case which was raised on no real meat, cooked or raw, would this make them sickly at first or pose any other risk?

No, if the meat is fresh, human grade, you should have no problem feeding your cat's raw meat. Like you said, their digestive systems are made for it.

Also, do the raw meats pose a risk of parasitic infestation, such as worms or other nasty and dangerous microbes? You see, I do not administer parasite medications or worm medicine to either of my furkids (as they are strictly indoor), not even our dogs and so if the raw meat did pose a threat to them via parasites, I’d have to start and to be honest, I really don’t think I could afford that or checkups just for this diet when wet food seems to do just fine and without the need of the checkups and meds.
As noted above, if it is quality human grade meat, you should have absolutely no problems with raw. Cats have different digestive tract than humans, it is much shorter so the meat travels through in a matter of about 5 hours. And they have a more acidic juices making it a harsh environment for parasites and bacteria to flourish.

As for the other thing, what about the risks of salmonella and E-Coli? I realize cats aren’t exactly the same as us humans, but… well, you know. I don’t want to put them at risk for this if it does affect them as severely as it can affect us.

And lastly, is this a good formula for a raw meal? I’m a little weary about the raw egg yolks…

Thank you so much in advance for your advice and help!
I add raw yolks to my raw. Cat's have a very high need for Vit B and the yolks will provide this for them. I have been feeding raw for a long time and have never had any problems. My senior himalayan who started on raw at 12 years old is healthier now.

This is the recipe I use:

Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM

The one in your link looks good too. I would stay away from the optional items unless your kitty needs it. The best diet is one that is a simple one.

I don't add the water when I make it, I do put some water in their dish, warm it up in the microwave, then add the raw for their feedings. It warms up the food for them.

Cat maid to:

Puddles, f (s) Blue Cream Himalayan 13 yrs
Jasper, m (n) Blue Pt Ragdoll/Ragdoll cross 8-9 yrs
Sweet Pea, f (s) silver tabby/calico 5-6 yrs
Rose semi feral, f (s) brown tabby 3 yrs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page