Chicken - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Chicken

I want to feed my new kitten (4 months) a raw diet, but with my school and work schedule and being gone 12 hours a day (that will change come june when I graduate!! YAY!) I am not able to feed her through out the day and have thus chosen to feed her canned in the morning, leave a bunch of kibble out during the day (she's a kitten she needs to eat as much as she wants) than feeding her canned in the evening when I get home. (I plan to slowly phase out the kibble when she starts not wanting her third meal)

I was wondering if tossing her a few cooked pieces of chicken (as the only meat I eat is chicken and salmon) if okay or if I should cut her off a few pieces before I cook it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Senior Cat

It would probalby be fine, but why? If you feed her a complete and balanced kitten formula, say Wellness, there is no need for the chicken. Otheres will speak to the relationship between cooked chicken and a raw diet, but i suspect there is no relation.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Senior Cat

Well, if you want to go raw I don't see why you'd give her cooked chicken. Doesn't make much sense to me. Starting her off at her age with canned with raw meat in it is the best option, and slowly getting rid of the canned as she ages and you';re closer to graduating. (YAY!)

If you don't introduce her now to many types/bones/organs it will just make things slightly more difficult later on when you really want to go raw. That said, it's not impossible.. but we switched 4 cats at once (ages 2 -14) and it took us 8mths. Not many people have that kind of commitment. Our fifth cat, we got as a 2-4mth old and we just started day 1 with giving her canned with chopped beef heart, then over a week decreased her canned and upped the heart (amount and size) until she was just eating large chunks of meat (then intro bone & organ). She'll eat pretty darn near anything now.. except kibble. And she barely tolerates canned food (try giving her meds in canned... no way mom! WHERE'S THE MEAT!? LOL)

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Banned

I would give her 2-3 raw meals when you are home (for instance, 6am, 6pm, and just before bed), and get an automatic feeder to give her a 3rd raw meal while you're at work. They work great and have an icepack built in to keep the food from spoiling. Not sure why you would want to feed kibble, canned, or cooked meat rather than raw, and the auto feeder makes it very easy.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I have been cutting off chunks of raw chicken- off the leg and giving her bone as well in the evening and she loves it!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden View Post
I would give her 2-3 raw meals when you are home (for instance, 6am, 6pm, and just before bed), and get an automatic feeder to give her a 3rd raw meal while you're at work. They work great and have an icepack built in to keep the food from spoiling. Not sure why you would want to feed kibble, canned, or cooked meat rather than raw, and the auto feeder makes it very easy.

Amazon.com: Cat Mate C20 Automatic Pet Feeder: Patio, Lawn & Garden
I had never heard of this ingenious product so went and looked. I laughed thru this whole review of the product. Who ever said cats arent clever!

Here is the review: We have two cats: one who is finicky and a light eater and another who lives for food and weighs 26 lbs. The vet said the 26-pounder must drop his weight to 15 pounds which meant no more leaving dry food readily available throughout the day. So I purchased two of these units, one for the light-eater which would have smaller amounts in it, and one for the fat cat which would allow him to have his allotted food at regular intervals while we're at work/school.

As fat cat thinks about food all day, it didn't take him long to deduce that a meal was lurking inside the closed feeder. We came back to a kitchen that looked like a battle had taken place. He had turned the feeder upside down (thereby preventing the doors from opening when the time came) but had also removed the battery (so the time was never GOING to come!)

I did as others suggested and taped the battery in place which did prevent fat cat from removing it. However, he is smart enough to recognize that the dial is the secret and will work for a long time, pawing it little by little until he gets it to turn. Sometimes, he turns it in the wrong direction and makes the meal take longer to arrive but I think he is gradually realizing that the other direction works in his favor.

I guess I am posting this to warn owners of particularly smart and motivated cats that this may not be the answer. Our other cat has no problem with the feeder (except that fat cat steals her food out of it before she has a chance) so you definitely need to know who you are dealing with, cat-wise! Perhaps if the whole unit were a little heavier, or came with a means to secure it to the floor, it would be better for our circumstances. In the meantime, I'm planning to get some velcro to help keep it from being turned over.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Cat Addict

Thanks for that review! I was laughing out loud at that..at work too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page