Strange reaction to Rabbit - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Strange reaction to Rabbit

One of my cats Panther, he is allergic to beef and lamb in raw form. He will throw up right away. Now I am not sure if he is allergic to rabbit.

For rabbit, I make a batch from the same rabbit in a big mixing bowl, and then freeze them in different containers. And thaw time one at a time when needed.

About 4 months ago, I tried to give my cats rabbit for the first time. The first container of rabbit Panther was doing ok with it. Then about 1 week later, I gave Panther another container of rabbit, and he threw up. The same container of food was given to my other cat and he was ok with it.

Last week, I let them try rabbit again from a different batch (different rabbit). Both of them did fine. Today, I gave them another rabbit meal from a different container with same batch of food, and Panther threw up again right after eating it.

I do not understand how Panther will be okay with one container, but not with another.

Can anyone give me some comments about this?
Thank you for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Premier Cat

Some cats just don't like raw food. I had one that vomited after eating raw, and for whatever reason couldn't tolerate it. So it was canned food for him which he was very happy to eat.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
Some cats just don't like raw food. I had one that vomited after eating raw, and for whatever reason couldn't tolerate it. So it was canned food for him which he was very happy to eat.
Panther has been eating raw since he was 4 months old. I am trying to see why the same meat from the same rabbit, prepared at the same time will work the first time, but not the second time I fed him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Jr. Cat

My cat is the same way with lamb and beef, she is allergic to both and will throw both up right after, even in tiny amounts.

I haven't tried rabbit yet but after reading this I am scared to!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Tom Cat

I have heard, at least in humans, that the first exposure to something new doesn't necessarily cause a reaction because the body hasn’t yet developed the antibodies that cause the allergic reaction.. It is the subsequent exposures that cause a reaction.

Maybe that is what is going on.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Banned

There are so many reasons cats throw up that it really doesn't make sense to jump right to allergies as the culprit. Just a few reasons are: too much food in one meal, eating too fast, food's too cold, the cat's swallowing chunks that are too big for comfort, hairballs (although these happen substantially less frequently on a raw diet), ingestion of foreign materials, and so on.

Also, a transition from canned or kibble to raw requires an adjustment in a cat's digestive and elimination system - diarrhea or vomiting at the start of the transition is not an unexpected event and is certainly not cause for alarm (or giving up on the benefits of raw).

Raw food allergies are actually fairly rare and occur far, FAR less frequently than allergies to commercially produced products.

Koobe, why don't you give me a call? We need to figure out what's going on with your kitties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page