Whole Prey Issue! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Whole Prey Issue!

I just brought home 4 frozen mice for my cat... and she's not taking to it. Its like she doesnt even know that they're food! She's interested in it, I mean she sniffs it nonstop. But then she gets bored and walks away. She doesn't lick it or bite it or anything. I'm a bit frustrated to be sure! Any advice on how to make the mouse a bit more enticing for her?

Thanks!

Tiffany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Senior Cat

Have you tried cutting them open? Just enough to expose the meat etc on the inside...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Oh that's a good idea! lol I was thinking about doing that but I hestitated for obvious reasons, hehehe. I am very squeamish about this but I'll give it a try... :O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Whoa, okay I cut into it and she completely changed. She went from ignoring it to tossing it around the room! Don't know what that triggered, shes still not eating it but she is playing with it, throwing it around, pawing at it and stalking it. I think she realizes it was a living thing now...! Hopefully this is a good sign and means she will eventually eat it when she's done having a blast with it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Senior Cat

Hopefully she will try eat it soon
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Awww darn well she eventually got bored of it and did not eat it...

I thought maybe she wasn't hungry enough? However she was begging nonstop for food so I felt bad and gave her a lot of turkey since I didn't feed her this morning hoping she would eat the mouse. She ate every single bite of the turkey in like 5 minutes, LOL. So yeah, she was starving. I doubt if she was that hungry and didn't eat the mouse that she will eat it at any point, though I will try again tomorrow. If she doesn't take to it though, thats okay. She has a wide variety of meats as it is.

I will give the 4 little adorable mice a proper burial if all fails
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Banned

How's it going now? It took my adult cats several weeks to finally completely finish a mouse. It's important to confine the cat to a small, boring room and just leave her alone. Eating mice takes some jaw stength, so don't expect miracles overnight. Keep offering them (you can pop what wasn't eaten into a baggie and refrigerate) and make sure she's hungry when you do. She'll figure it out.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned

Your poor kitty just doesn't realize that mice are food. LOL

Transitioning to whole prey is as difficult, if not more difficult, than transitioning from kibble to raw. Success is all about persistence.

Due to the need to cut up little meecer bodies to get my kitty's to even sniff mice, I had to give up trying --- after a while, I just couldn't handle snipping them apart.

If you're cat does eventually take to mice, please let me know; I've got about 150 fat frozen mice looking for a new home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page