Not very excited about raw.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Not very excited about raw....

Delta and Lyric are finally on raw, but they don't seem very excited when meal time comes around. They hate pork, got bored of chicken hearts, not too bad with cornish hen, all they are really interested in eating is chicken breast. I am tempted to switch back to canned, and give them a bone mean weekly to clean their teeth, but it costs me over $70.00+ a month to feed two kittens high quality wet.

I'm not sure what else I should do...Delta turns her head up to wet food now, but really only picks at her raw food. Lyric is 1/2 and 1/2, he likes his wet food, seems to like raw but still only picks.

ETA: They have a diet combo right now of:

Chicken thigh meat
Chicken breast meat
Chicken breast w/ rib
Chicken heart
Pork Shoulder (which they hate)
Chicken neck
Cornish hen

Was waiting to add liver and other organs for another week or so

Last edited by CassiandRJ; 08-15-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Hi, CassiandRJ!

If you don't mind, how much (by weight) are you feeding per meal and how many meals do you offer?

Also, that's a lot of chicken - cats like variety and go "off" their food rather quickly (and frustratingly) when they don't get enough of it (with "enough" being different for every cat, of course *rolls eyes at silly kitties*).

Could you add turkey (I buy turkey drumsticks and cut the meat off), beef (like the beef stew pieces), beef heart, rabbit, or anything else? With enough variety, you could even add the chicken hearts back in, since it'll be "newish", they may be interested in it again.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I don't weigh their food, as kittens, I give them as much as they'll eat. I offer 3-4 meals a day.

It's a lot of chicken, but thats all I can get them to eat. I'm gonna make a trip to the local butcher to see what they have, but for now I am offering what's available at my local grocery stores. I haven't been able to find beef heart, unfortunately.

I'll pick up some turkey drumsticks, I remember seeing those!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiandRJ View Post
I don't weigh their food, as kittens, I give them as much as they'll eat. I offer 3-4 meals a day.

It's a lot of chicken, but thats all I can get them to eat. I'm gonna make a trip to the local butcher to see what they have, but for now I am offering what's available at my local grocery stores. I haven't been able to find beef heart, unfortunately.

I'll pick up some turkey drumsticks, I remember seeing those!
Hmmm, just throwing this out there - without knowing how much is on their plates at any given meal, there is a slight possibility you're offering more than they need. Do you think you're feeding more than two ounces per meal, per kitten?

Beef heart (or any product, actually) - ask the butcher where you shop if he can special order it for you. If he's not sure, offer to order in bulk, that may be all the incentive he needs.

Let us know how the turkey test goes!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

You're right, I actually didn't think of that!

I picked up some beef and turkey drumsticks and cut it in decent pieces, I tried about an ounce of the beef and they LOVED it! I'm gonna try the turkey tonight. I am going to try not to feed the same thing every 3 days. I'm gonna make a schedule and introduce the liver/organs so that everything will be balanced and planned out.

Thanks so much for your help.

The things we do for our babies!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiandRJ View Post
You're right, I actually didn't think of that!

I picked up some beef and turkey drumsticks and cut it in decent pieces, I tried about an ounce of the beef and they LOVED it! I'm gonna try the turkey tonight. I am going to try not to feed the same thing every 3 days. I'm gonna make a schedule and introduce the liver/organs so that everything will be balanced and planned out.

Thanks so much for your help.

The things we do for our babies!
LOL! Indeed!

Glad it looks like a little variety's all they needed.

My Rachel loves beef so much, I had to cut her pieces smaller when she first started, 'cause she'd swallow them without cutting them down first, then hork 'em back up ten minutes later. *eye roll*

I don't know how you plan to feed the organ meats, but may I suggest you cut them into four separate meals: two each week for liver and two each week for the other organ. Obviously, the amount of liver and other organ (I use kidney) isn't large enough for a single meal - you'll have to mix it with something else to make up the full two ounces (or however much you're feeding per meal).

Many cats can't handle a lot of organ in a single meal, or any organ meats without something else to accompany it. I feed liver with chicken breast and kidney with chicken gizzards, and always let them eat the organs first.

Schedules work WONDERS. I have mine tapped to my refrigerator door and every morning, I take a look at it and pull out whatever's on the menu for the next day. Simplicity itself. (Wish I was even half that organized with my own meals!)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Turkey was a big hit and after they were finished (gave a small-ish amount) they were looking at me like "Umm, more?". As a side note: I can't believe how much meat that is really on those drumsticks! That's awesome.

I feel a bit dumb for asking, but I picked up some gizzards at the store, also. I'm not sure exactly what they are so what category do they go in? Oof...

Thank you so much for your help, Auntie Crazy, don't know why I didn't think to do this sooner.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

Gizzards, like hearts, are considered meats.

I'm not sure to what you're referring when you say, "Don't know why I didn't think to do this sooner?" but there's not a one of us that's capable of thinking of everything, or even of just what we need every time we need it.

That's what friends - online and off - are for!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Okay, then I guess I'll try the gizzards too, tonight. Thanks!

I noticed you're from MA! I grew up in North Dighton, now residing in FL, I miss it so much up north.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Banned

I would so totally, gratefully, immediately trade locations with you, CassiandRJ. I moved here from MS to be closer to family, but it turns out I'm died in the blue, can't beat it out of me, 100% true southern girl. My heart's still puttin' around the quiet still waters and the wide open fields of my old stompin' grounds. *sniff*

Someday, I'll relocate to the south for good, preferably in Dallas, TX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page