Giving cats raw fish - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Giving cats raw fish

One of my neighbors went fishing and they gave us some raw fish. I'm vegan so I won't eat it. I was wondering if it's a good idea to give my cats fish raw fish they caught? The fish has been frozen for about a week or so. I'm scared of parasites and any other diseases the fish might have and also the fact that they caught it in Galveston beach. Of course, if it IS safe I will feed it very moderately. Like maybe once a week or once a month. Also, is it OK to leave the raw bones of the fish so they can eat it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Jr. Cat

I dont know a lot about raw feeding. i know that a cats true diet is raw meat and they do best on a raw meat diet, but if it were me and i was worried i would just cook it for them I know a lot of people that feed only raw. if you research cat diets it is over whelming on how important a raw diet it. so i am sure a bit everyday along with their dry would be good for them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Senior Cat

Do you have any idea what type of fish it is?

I think it is best to freeze "wild caught" meat for a month prior to feeding. Please feel free though to correct me if I am wrong!

All the farm cat get a sardine a week, though they aren't raw. I am probably going to switch to giving them smelt instead when I can get it from the grocery store. The smelt is raw (and wild caught in the USA) but from what I can find both smelt and sardines are very high in omega-3's...which is why I feed sardines in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Banned

If you're worried, don't feed it, but PLEASE, don't cook it! Cooking destroys and degrades all the fresh, lovely nutrients that make raw-feeding so healthy (and cooked bones are dangerous!).

If you think the fish is generally healthy/edible for human eating, you can, in small and infrequent meals, feed it to your cat(s).

I, personally, only rarely (except for the once a week sardine) feed fish because it can be problematic; cats evolved in the desert and despite all the pretty commercial packages with pics of fish on them, they didn't evolve to eat fish and, as often as not, will have some kind of allergic reaction to them. Too much fish (with "too much" being specific and different for every cat) may cause urinary tract issues, and many fish have toxins and heavy metals in their bodies that are not at all good for our cats bodies. The larger the fish, the more likely it is to be contaminated in some way.

Also, unlike most fresh meat, fish has a strong flavor and cats can sometimes become addicted to it.

So, the technical answer is, yes, you can feed the fish - including the bones - and your kitty may well enjoy the meal. Just don't do it frequently and watch out for possible allergic reactions.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks for the info. I understand fish is quite unhealthy for cats. The only time I ever fed fish was when my cats used to get raw sardines once a week for the omega 3's. I don't know exactly what kind of raw fish this is, it is medium sized though.

I am still very unsure. The only reason I am even considering giving this to them is because it's almost midnight here and there's no way I can leave my house. I was suppose to go shopping for meat today but took a nap in the afternoon and overslept. Now I'm trying to decide whether to give them the cheap Friskies dry food I have for the feral cats or give them raw fish which contains who knows what. I am so scared about parasites and other diseases I would feed fish from grocery stores that's been approved by the FDA and is safe for human consumption but this is wild caught fish.

I guess I'll just stick to giving them dry food this one time as an emergency (and look forward to the stinky poo in the morning )...i don't know what I'll do with the fish. Maybe freeze it for one more month before giving it to them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Banned

Given the option between fish and dry kibble, I'll go with the fresh fish every time.

It isn't that fish is "unhealthy" for cats; it has it's good points and it's still fresh raw meat, organs and bones.

It's just that it needs to be monitored.

Why not cut off a sliver or two and see if your kitties are even interested?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

So I shouldn't be worried about the worms and parasites the fish may contain or any diseases?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page