Question about handling and preparing. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Question about handling and preparing.

I'm going to preface this by saying that it may sound like an absurd question.

I stopped eating meat besides poultry when I was nine and gave up poultry when I was about twelve, so I've never really handled raw meat and neither has my boyfriend. I bought a separate cutting board and a sharp knife specifically for raw feeding, but as far as handling the meat....do you just use your bare hands? Do people wear gloves when preparing meat? I truly haven't a clue. Are organs messy? It's not that I have issues with getting my hands dirty, but I think this will take some getting used to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelsaurusRexU View Post
I'm going to preface this by saying that it may sound like an absurd question.

I stopped eating meat besides poultry when I was nine and gave up poultry when I was about twelve, so I've never really handled raw meat and neither has my boyfriend. I bought a separate cutting board and a sharp knife specifically for raw feeding, but as far as handling the meat....do you just use your bare hands? Do people wear gloves when preparing meat? I truly haven't a clue. Are organs messy? It's not that I have issues with getting my hands dirty, but I think this will take some getting used to!
I think it's a good idea to buy a separate cutting board and knife. The first raw meal I ever gave my cats was the first time I ever handled raw meat and I used my bare hands. So it's OK to use your bare hands. But if you want to use gloves then that's fine too, just make sure they are sterile and you dispose them after each use. It's fine to use your bare hands as long as you don't touch anything else and if you do then wipe it with antibacterial soap or bleach and also wash your hands with antibacterial soap.

Chicken liver can be quite messy, stinky and gross in my opinion but my cats love it! And it is a requirement.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Cool, thank you! I think I'll just dive right into this and try it bare handed. What's the worst that could happen, afterall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Senior Cat

Personally, I always wear plastic gloves when cutting the meat. I also wear gloves when I am feeding everyone as I can't wash my hands then until I get home. I just feel safer if I am wearing gloves...which is pretty pathetic coming from someone who will help pull a calf and not thing anything of it lol!

Liver can be messy if not frozen - it works best to cut it when it is half frozen Much less mess!

Last edited by furryfriends251; 08-19-2010 at 07:51 PM.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Banned

Being vegan, I was BEYOND grossed out by the whole thing at first. I think you should do whatever helps you feel more comfy about it.

I have one side of my 2-well sink that is ONLY for raw meat. The other side is everything else. I have a cutting board, tongs, knife, and poultry shears ONLY for the meat. When I'm done w/ prep I spray the sink, my tools, and my hands (after washing) with a vinegar/water solution (which is what I use for general cleaning). When I started I did wear gloves, but honestly they're more trouble than they're worth.

It DOES get easier. I hadn't eaten meat in 25 years when I started taking my dogs and cats raw--I literally had a meltdown in Whole Foods and had to call a friend and have her talk me down, LOL. Just talking w/ butchers in the meat department made me want to cry.

But now I'm pretty blase about it, so it WILL get better. Just hang in there!!
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Tom Cat

lol, are we all vegans here on the raw diet forum?
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Aw I hope I don't have a meltdown! I'm picking up my first order of meat from the butcher tomorrow and I'm pretty darn nervous about that part, more than anything else. I do have a friend coming with me, both for moral support and help carrying all 20 zillion cases! I am hoping not to get sick in public. Or at home! Yikes.

That's a great idea with the sink! I think I'll try that. What ratio of water and vinegar do you use? I decided to use that instead of a chemical cleaner. Also, where do you feed? I have a linoleum floor, so I'm thinking that'll be as easy as anything to clean up afterward, assuming they all stay where I put their food! (Fat chance!)

Anyway, thank you for the support. It means a lot!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010 View Post
lol, are we all vegans here on the raw diet forum?
HAHA! Oh, the irony!

Actually, I think it makes more sense than vegans feeding vegan petfood! You wouldn't BELIEVE the conversation I had with a vegan friend when I first heard that people feed cats vegan. Let's put it this way; he's convinced that wild lions, cheetahs, etc would be healthier if they were forced to eat vegan diets. He claims they wouldn't suffer from so much heart, liver and kidney disease and would live longer. WHAAAA?! Since when do wild tigers die from diet related heart disease?! Holy smokes.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelsaurusRexU View Post
Actually, I think it makes more sense than vegans feeding vegan petfood! You wouldn't BELIEVE the conversation I had with a vegan friend when I first heard that people feed cats vegan. Let's put it this way; he's convinced that wild lions, cheetahs, etc would be healthier if they were forced to eat vegan diets. He claims they wouldn't suffer from so much heart, liver and kidney disease and would live longer. WHAAAA?! Since when do wild tigers die from diet related heart disease?! Holy smokes.
Yeah. I have a fellow vegan friend who keeps telling me about HER friend who feeds her cats a vegan diet. That poor cat. <sigh> I'm sure it's possible to manufacture something out of soy that will keep a cat alive for a while, but what a life! Makes me very sad.

I sure feel much better about feeding real meat I sourced myself versus the c*** that's in pet food! And I know that both I AND my cats/dogs are eating what is best for each of us. Doesn't get much better than that!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Amen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page