help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Exclamation help!

We just started raw today with our two kitties. Our little girl Malley LOVED her chicken and pork kidney.... Rowdy sniffed at it and walked away. So because he is a picky eater we brough out some beef chunks (he seems to prefer beef) and he wouldn't eat it unless we put his treats in it.

Do you have any tricks to get picky cats? We think he may just need a slower transition, but we dont want to feed one cat raw and the other canned food, we can't afford to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Cat

I'm just starting my cats on raw and having the same problem. I've read to slice up tiny pieces of raw and hide them in wet food. Two of my four cats eat around them so far. Very gradually you increase the amount of raw and decrease the amount of canned. I've also read to douse the raw in tuna or sardine juice or a bit of salmon oil, or to crush up some freeze dried chicken treats and sprinkle them on the raw. You could sprinkle on grated cheese or a bit of catnip.... None of that works for me so far, but it might for you! I'm just going to keep hiding it in their wet food and try to find a flavor of wet that they can't pass up in hopes they'll eat all of it, raw included.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Premier Cat

You might try hiding small pieces of raw in canned Fancy Feast. Few cats can resist that stuff, it's like kitty crack!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Well they just had dinner. Beef chunks. Again our little girl Malley loved it, no additives needed. We added a tiny bit of grated parmesian cheese to Rowdy's meal and he ate it up! So excited to see that all of our time spent butchering, weighing and packaging, probably didnt go to waste!

Hope your kitties all have a good transition too!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

Yay! That's excellent.

Here's an article that might be helpful in case you run into any more difficulties:

How to Transition Your Cat to a Raw Diet

Good luck!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
You might try hiding small pieces of raw in canned Fancy Feast. Few cats can resist that stuff, it's like kitty crack!
Haha, my Cheetah is so picky that he won't even eat Fancy Feast, even Japanese brand canned food. They started raw very well, it is just over time, Cheetah gets very picky.

We had to give her the same food for at least 3 weeks recommended by the vet. Also warming the food a little bit helps Cheetah eat. Of course not to the point of cooking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Jr. Cat

perhaps if you ground the meat to a mush and mixed it in really well with the wet food it would work better? thats how I started my ferrets to switch. then just ease off on the wetfood and work yourself up to larger chunks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Banned

Here's a great page on transitioning: Practical Guide

It does take some cats longer. Remember that commercial pet food is unnaturally smelly in order to "hook" cats to the product. Raw meat is NOT smelly. So cats accustomed to eating commercial food may not at first recognize real food as food! Sad but true.

Also keep in mind that most cats have very little jaw strength if they have been commercially fed their whole lives. Unlike dogs, who chew for recreation, cats only use their jaws when they eat (naturally). So they need to build up jaw strength, and that takes time.

So, transition as slowly as the cat needs but as quickly as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page