Advice please.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Advice please....

I originally posted this in another thread, but I think that thread was a little dead, so I decided to repost in a new thread.

I have attached our menu, AC I used alot of your ideas, I hope you dont mind. I used this Zoho Sheet - Online Spreadsheets spreadsheet to come up with the proper requirements for our kitties. Since they are kitties instead of doing a target of 2,3 or 4% I did 6% for our 5.5 mnth 5.9 lb boy, and 7% for our 4mnth 3.14lb girl. Is that ok? I want to make sure we are giving them enough food.

Do we need to give bone/organ every day? Or can we give them the amount of bone/organ they need on a weekly basis, spread out between a couple of days? Orignally we were going to give chicken bone as their main bone, but we are thinking that mice would be better. Any advice on that?

Thanks for all your expert advice and opinions! We would be lost without you! BTW we our now members of the FNES and will tell every pet owner we know about raw!
Attached Files
File Type: txt raw menu.txt (1.6 KB, 80 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Kitten

There are raw food companies out there that already have bone and organs ground up in the meat and are in pattie form. I use STELLA and CHEWY. There are others: PRIMAL, NATURES VARIETY, BRAVO, PET COUNTRY.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks Catflwrs! We are really looking to save some money and unfortunately all those options are really pricey! I do appreciate your input tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Jr. Cat

Commercial raw is super easy to use but way overpriced and has too many additives that a true carnivore doesn't need!

pumpkin seed, organic cranberries, organic spinach, organic broccoli, organic beets, organic carrots, organic squash, organic apples, organic blueberries are all unnessesary in my opinion and just used as filler!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Jr. Cat

mice bones are easy for cats to chew on as are quail bones and chicken wing tips. chicks are a good 'treat' and also have soft-ish bones.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoologist View Post
Commercial raw is super easy to use but way overpriced and has too many additives that a true carnivore doesn't need!

pumpkin seed, organic cranberries, organic spinach, organic broccoli, organic beets, organic carrots, organic squash, organic apples, organic blueberries are all unnessesary in my opinion and just used as filler!
DITTO. Those commercial raw products do NOT constitute raw feeding in my book. Just one more way for someone to make money. Cats have TEETH and JAWS. Let them use them!!!

Back to the original question . . . It's not necessary to feed bone every day. If you feed whole prey (with EVERYTHING intact, like mice), you're feeding the right % (5-10%) of bone daily. But if you feed chicken or quail, which has been "dressed," that's more like 20-40% bone (depending on which piece it is). So that means that if you DID feed dressed bone-in meat daily you would be overfeeding bone.

SO: If you're feeding dressed bone-in, feed it maybe one meal out of every 3-4 meals.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks for all the replies!

@ hoofmaiden...
we just tried mice and it was hilarious! They just played with it and played with it! I haven't ever seen them play with a toy that vigourusly! So it did not work... We don't have access to quail or hen where I am at, and the chicken bones are too much for them... Is there a way to supplement for just bone? If so how do I go about that? At least until their jaw strength builds up.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Senior Cat

Have your soaked the mice in some kind of blood? It helped our guys eat them properly.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyAndMalley View Post
@ hoofmaiden...
we just tried mice and it was hilarious! They just played with it and played with it! I haven't ever seen them play with a toy that vigourusly! So it did not work... We don't have access to quail or hen where I am at, and the chicken bones are too much for them... Is there a way to supplement for just bone? If so how do I go about that? At least until their jaw strength builds up.
They all do that at the beginning. Don't give up. Did you cut the mouse in half? I know, I know--but it DOES help.

ALL of mine played w/ the mice for starters. Then they figured it out and they don't anymore. I have video and can send you the links privately--it's not permitted to post them on this forum. But they are amusing.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Banned

Also, I VERY much doubt you can't get quail if you're in CA. There are umpty-million Asian food markets there. Find one and go to town! That's where I get my quail. Most Whole Foods Markets will also special order them for you if they don't carry them.

But don't give up on the mice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page