Made progress tonight! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Made progress tonight!

Tonight I tried again to hide raw chicken in the cats' wet food. I used Halo again, but salmon instead of the turkey flavor (which they liked and ate without raw in it the day before). I also cut the chicken bits to half the size that I did last night. Miles and Bunny ate it, no problem! Bunny actually went around cleaning the other bowls afterward! Meatball, my total pig cat who will eat just about ANYTHING, still refused. She ate around the raw, which Bunny happily cleaned up for her. I made a batch of the Feline Instincts kidney diet for Milner and froze it in ice cube trays. Tonight I put one cube in his bowl and floated the bowl in hot water until it melted and warmed up, then mixed some of the Halo salmon into that. He ate his too! There were some chicken chunks left at the end, but I cut them up smaller and added about half a tablespoon more canned and he finished it off! I'm so happy they are warming up to it and hopefully Meatball will follow suit.

The dogs, on the other hand, took to it right away. I expected two of them, Romeo and Guinness, to be apprehensive. Nope! Romeo ate it up immediately. Guinness has some broken and worn teeth, so it was a little more difficult for her. I had to hold it for her both last night and tonight, and as a result both times she sort of got bored with it and gave up halfway through. If I put it down, she refused to even attempt eating it. Hopefully tomorrow night she'll be hungry enough to try on her own and once she learns she can do it by herself I'm hoping she will eat without me having to hold it for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Tom Cat

Thats great news! Keep perservering and I know it will pay off!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Kitten

Thats awesome! Just wondering what company you use, or if its just raw chicken from the grocery store? Ever hear of Stella and Chewy? They make raw food that come in patties (chicken, beef, duck, lamb). They also make their freeze dried patties that when it is soaked it warm water for a few minutes its gets soft like oatmeal... just thinking of Guinness. It helped my neighbors dog who only has a few teeth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks, guys!

I buy right from the butcher. It's only her canines that are broken and worn, so I think she CAN eat it whole. I think she's just being a big dependent baby, haha. When I held it she had no problems crushing the bone with her molars and then using her incisors to pull small chunks off, maybe she just needs to figure out the concept of using her paws to hold it down while she does the above. I think tomorrow I'll apply a little tough love and leave her to it. I showed her what she's supposed to do, now it's up to her to do it. And if she's hungry enough, she'll figure it out! Thanks for the suggestion, though!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Jr. Cat

have you tried grinding the chicken down to a mush and mixing it in with the wetfood? this was the first step to getting my ferrets to switch 'cept I mixed it with ground kibble and warm water. It may help your stubborn girl get used to the taste while masking it with the wet food. then slowly eliminate the wetfood and move onto chunks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I have not tried that, I don't have a grinder. Hmmm...are there cheap little grinders? I don't want to buy a big honkin expensive one that I'll never use. Maybe I could just buy a package of ground chicken (do they sell ground chicken?) to make the transition?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 AM
Jr. Cat

yes they sell ground chicken. it is generally chicken breast with very little fat and no bone. this would be good to help your baby get used to the taste, but cannot be used as your chicken protein source.

-jessy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page