Constipation - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Constipation

So I feel like I am taking over this forum with all my raw diet questions!

We started raw on Sunday, and we love it! Our little girl took to it right away! She is a champ! Our boy took some convincing but he likes it more and more every day.

Our question is this. We have not noticed if Malley has pooped since we started her on this diet. She has always been the cat to not bury, but every time we have scooped since starting (couple times a day) the poop has been buried. We are not sure if she has gone. (Plus their poop used to be soooo stinky so every time they went we knew, now it doesnt smell at all) She seems to have loads of energy and I have spent time rubbing her stomach and she just purrs, so she is not in any pain. How can you tell if a cat is constipated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyAndMalley View Post
Our question is this. We have not noticed if Malley has pooped since we started her on this diet. She has always been the cat to not bury, but every time we have scooped since starting (couple times a day) the poop has been buried. We are not sure if she has gone. (Plus their poop used to be soooo stinky so every time they went we knew, now it doesnt smell at all) She seems to have loads of energy and I have spent time rubbing her stomach and she just purrs, so she is not in any pain. How can you tell if a cat is constipated?
I guess you can only find out by guarding the litter box to see if Malley poos. And the poo being not stinky is very normal for raw diet, which I am sure all owners love it.

Also, it Malley meows in pain while trying to go to the litter box, then she might be constipating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Senior Cat

Raw fed kitties also poop way less than others. Our cats might poop once a day. Sometimes, every other day.

It could also just be that she has started to cover it now, she's just a baby, right? Our newest didn't cover her stuff for the first few days, but does now. Previously, we've had cats who never covered and OTHER cats would start to cover for them.

I wouldn't worry, unless you hear/see pain while in the box or she starts leaving presents around the house.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks for the replies!

There is defintely no meowing in pain. And she seems to be a night pooper. They are both kitties under 6 months old. We think she is learning to bury and that Rowdy may be burying it for her. I will keep an eye out for the signs, but as of right now they are wrestling, so everything seems good.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Cat

Yes, Panther was bad at covering. Cheetah used to cover for him, he was so mad that he covered until one side of the box was out of litter.

Panther is much better at covering now.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Senior Cat

Its really nice when the bottom of the litter box is the limit for how far the can dig. Being outside, some of mine literally seem to dig craters. "Here is a nice 10 foot high pile of fresh dirt - lets see if we can dig all the way to the bottom"

Really though, raw fed cats don't poop much. They also don't do the couple times a day thing like cats on dry food will. So even though it seems like they are constipated - most of the time they are not. Its just that they are able to properly use all their food so there isn't much waste.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends251 View Post
Really though, raw fed cats don't poop much. They also don't do the couple times a day thing like cats on dry food will. So even though it seems like they are constipated - most of the time they are not. Its just that they are able to properly use all their food so there isn't much waste.
Yup. I get 1-2 total poops a day from 2 cats. NEVER more, and often it's just 1 between the 2. Once a day is about average per cat. And the poops are small, firm, and dryish with no odor.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Sounds great! Thanks for all your expert advice! We feel so much better knowing that our kitties are normal
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

One thing to keep in mind (b/c I just saw the post about ONE WHOLE CGH each) is that too much bone really WILL constipate kitties. 10% bone (fed over time) is the outside limit for cats--5% is closer to good. That means that your cats who ate one whole CGH each have already had their bone for a WEEK. So go easy on bone and don't give that much at one time again.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

@ hoofmaiden

They didnt have a whoel CGH each, to clarify, they each had just a wing.

But an update to this anyway, our little rowdy boy got sick, hes lethargic, lack of appetite and has vomited some bile, so we are going to stop the Raw until we see our Holistic vet on Monday and go over the diet with her and see what she thinks. We are afraid that the meat we may have bought is bad, so keep your fingers crossed that he is just sensitive and not really sick, we are keeping a really really close eye on him and he has only vomited the one time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page