How long have you been feeding raw? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

How long have you been feeding raw?

It's going to be a year for me soon. Phew! I have to admit, it was kind of scary at first but I would never consider feeding them cooked meat again. They never liked it as much. So how long have you guys been feeding raw meat? I don't think I've ever heard someone say "My cat was fed raw all his/her life and he lived till he was 20 years old!." I would really like to hear actual testimonials but I don't think there's any on the internet which is again, scary for me. There's a lot of testimonials like "my cat has a shinier coat, sparkling teeth, etc" but most of them are from people who have been only feeding for a few years. I wanna know how long they lived and stuff. I don't know. I wish raw feeding was more mainstream, I understand that the concept just came about a few years ago so I won't be getting any examples anytime soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010 View Post
I... I wish raw feeding was more mainstream, I understand that the concept just came about a few years ago...
Not really. Cats were "raw fed" from the time they were domesticated until commercial products really took off in the early to mid-1900s, and there are many non-U.S. countries that continued to raw-feed their cats in spite of the convenience of commercial products.

Check out the yahoo rawcat forum - there are quite a few members who've been naturally feeding their cats for decades.

I've only been doing it for a couple of years, as it wasn't until I lost Ollie in the 2007 pet food poisoning that I really began digging deep into feline nutrition.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Senior Cat

I've been feeding raw for a whole year...the year mark was from what I remember August 7. I fed partly raw for a few months before switching to only raw.

I know that a lot of the people on the facebook raw feeding group have been feeding raw for more than 30 years. The facebook group is another part of the yahoo groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Senior Cat

We've been raw for just over 2 years now! We have 2 kittens who have been raw since they got here at 11-12 weeks (the oldest is now over a year and the younger is still only 13weeks) and the rest started raw a little later in life (2 cats at 2yrs, 1 cat at 13yrs, 1 dog at 4yrs and 1 dog at 8mths).

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Cat

I have been feeding raw for 9 months, since my kitties were 4 months old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned

18 months now.

As others have said, raw feeding is hardly "new"--the pet food companies would certainly like you to think so, LOL, but dogs and cats were eating raw meat (either caught themselves or fed by their owners) for MILLENIA before the pet food cos decided to make some money out of what used to be tossed away by the various industries.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Cat

How about let us describe our raw feeding cats' active levels compared to age.

Mine are just 1 years old, so they are still very active. I noticed that they are sleeping more than they were kittens (5 months). Now they do sleep more than 8 hours out of the 14 or more hours I am awake. They chase each other, sometimes I think they run like horses.

How about your kitties?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 02:58 AM
Jr. Cat

Fed whole prey for years, since packaged pet food seemed like a luxury item.

Now I'm in a completely different situation, in a new place, and feeding "frankenprey" for the first time, just since Saturday. It's a bizarre challenge -- it's going to take some time for me to figure out how to source enough variety.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 05:51 AM
Banned

What IS frankenprey?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
What IS frankenprey?
Frankenprey Rawfeeding

I found a package of chicken offal today at the store that usually just has standard cuts. There's liver in there and hearts, not sure what else I'll find. Can't wait to see how SemiFeralKitty handles heart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page