chicken breast -- boneless, skinless, teatless - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

chicken breast -- boneless, skinless, teatless

Has anyone seen a kitten suckle on meat once it's finished eating?

The semi-feral kitten I've been taking care of had been nuzzling its own belly to the point of sores. I figured feeding raw would use up some of its oral drive, but did not expect it to suck on the chicken breast once it had eaten its fill.

Over the years I've fed a lot of raw to a lot of different animals, including some very ripe offal to dogs, and this is the first thing that's seemed squicky. It's just ... weird, and sad. Kitty even falls asleep with head on the plate and its mouth latched on to the edge of meat.

Um, as an aside, I'm actually buying bone-in with skin on, but there's so much meat, kitty only gets bone or cartilage every few pieces.

I'd feed whole prey if I knew where to get it here. For now, grocery store frankenstuff is the best I can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

Are you still giving him formula? Preferably home-made (goats milk, lactoferrin, colostrum, taurine), and preferably in a bottle so he can nurse? That might help him. . . Poor little guy! Jonah was 3-4 weeks old when I rescued him and he never did any nursing behavior, which seemed odd, really. He IS a very licky cat as an almost adult, though.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Cat

I bottlefed two of my cats along with their orphaned litters, one from about 3 weeks (Bunny) and the other from newborn (Meatball). Bunny is now 4 years old and has always "nursed" on my knuckles and even my earlobes a few times. She gets so into it that I can slowly pull my hand away from her mouth and she'll sit there with her eyes closed, suckling the air for several seconds. I have to try to get a video, it's so funny looking. Meatball is now 1.5 years and has never shown any such behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page