Premade Raw or Canned - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Premade Raw or Canned

Nightmare has decided he will willingly eat premade raw (Nature's Variety). He is the only one of the farm cats who has to eat all canned because he just plain wouldn't eat any raw.

He will very happily eat canned but if he will eat premade raw which would be better for him? The canned or raw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Cat

Premade raw is waaaay more expensive then making your own raw. Raw will always be better than canned. The best canned is 95% EVO Chicken and Turkey (aaand some others that I can't remember?).

Feeding canned isn't the end of the world, though. If it's a good canned brand it's a similar diet. If the premade raw is ground you have to supplement, however.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

If he really truly WON'T eat real raw, pre-made raw is next best AS LONG AS it's one of the ones w/ no veggies in it. A surprising number of those premade things DO contain veggies. So look at the ingredients and/or post them here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I have been trying to get Nightmare to eat real raw for nearly 1.5 years. He just won't have it so he gets all canned. Even if I put a very tiny piece of meat in his canned he will eat around it.

I had just tried him on premade raw last night (mixed 1 ounce premade raw w/ 4 oz canned) and he ate it all.

I have leftover premade raw from Milo which I used for syringe feeding him. It is Nature's Variety Venison and here are the ingrediants:

Venison, Lamb Heart, Lamb Liver, Raw Ground Lamb Bone, Apples, Carrots, Pumpkinseeds, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Chicken Eggs, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Dried Kelp, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Salmon Oil, Olive Oil, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Persimmons, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Inulin, Rosemary, Sage, Clove.

Not the best stuff I know. I have ~30 ounces of this left and I will look into trying other companies. Any brand suggestions???

I'm hoping that if he is eating premade raw it might make him more willing to try actual raw...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Banned

Ugh -- no, I wouldn't feed that. I would feed EVO 95% meat canned food before I fed that!! 3/4 of the ingredients in there are completely NOT appropriate for cats!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Actually it is supposed to be 95% meat, bones, and organs and 5% fruit/veggies. I'm not wild about it either and would love to get Nightmare eating real raw food.

Hmm, I don't buy the Natura brands anymore because Natura is now owned by P&G....

If you have any brand suggestions I'd love to see them I wish I could get the silly cat to eat raw and not the premade stuff...and I think it would be easier to switch him to real unground raw if he was already eating some kind of raw food (not canned).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Banned

You can always feed ground raw you make yourself. You can get whole ground rabbit here:

Hare Today, Gone Tommorow

You DO have to supplement if you're feeding ground, esp. rabbit (which is low in taurine). Suggestions on how to do that here:

Feline Nutrition & Raw Diets for IBD Cats

Possibly you could transition him to REAL raw once you got him eating it ground.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Senior Cat

We had to switch our four by using ground raw (chicken & rabbit - complete with organ/bone, etc) mixed with canned food.

We started by using a tsp of raw in their canned meals for a few weeks. When they'd eat it no problems, we'd add 2 tsp for a few weeks, then 4 tsp, then 6, etc.

We never pushed them, just slowly slowly upped the amt of ground raw until they were (7mths later) eating mostly ground raw with some canned smeared on top.

At that point we just started to hand chop meat from tiny pieces to meal sized.. that process only took about 1 1/2 mths.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page