Cheapest online source for mice and quail? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Cheapest online source for mice and quail?

Anyplace with decent shipping rates and good quailty on the east coast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Banned

Generally you can't buy quail online. I get mine at an Asian grocery--some Whole Foods stores will special order them, but it's much cheaper at the Asian grocery!

I get mice from American Rodent Supply . If you're in their blue zone (which you are), shipping is FREE if you order $100 worth. That's a GREAT deal and they'll keep forever in the freezer, so stock up! Be sure to check out the sales when you go there--I usually get stuff on sale and BOY is it cheap.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Cat

That's awesome, thank you so much for the advice! I know there are some Asian markets in Hartford and New Haven (and I'm right smack dab in the middle) so I'll check those out. And free shipping RULES! Now let's see if I can muster up the courage to buy a couple tester mice from the pet store At least I know the dogs will eat them if the cats won't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Tom Cat

Rachel, have you had any luck with your cats and the raw diet? I remember you said they weren't taking it too well.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I ended up buying a ground mix of chicken/beef/bone/fish/organ from a woman who distributes locally. I've been mixing it with Wellness canned and they have *finally* caught on that there's no other option than to eat what I serve! Well, they understand that for now, anyway. Haha I think it'll be REALLY slow going but hopefully I'll eventually be able to sneak more and more chunks in there until they're eating what they should be eating. Maybe in a couple years, at this point! I had two of them to the point where they'd eat chunked beef heart and chicken necks that I bashed up a bit and marinated in the water from a can of mackerel. Then one day they decided they didn't like it anymore. Little snots! Maybe it's one of those things they'd be willing to eat once a week but not daily. I don't know. This process has been exhausting and frustrating. I don't understand how all of you lucky people have cats that will readily devour bone and organ. Bah.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Cat

Rach, as I have said before - it took us eight months to switch our four cats. Doing as you are, mixing a complete ground with canned. Every two weeks we'd up the raw and decrease the canned amts by a tbsp (but tsp would do well too). Eventually they were eating mostly ground with one a smear of canned, and then we added chunks!

You can do this, we had the most stubborn ladycat ever to do the switch and while it always took her a while she switched eventually.

And man, getting them to eat bones took us even longer than 8mths, we'd have to give them some ground stuff a couple times a week just to get the bone in them! Organ-wise, they took okay to it.. we just kept offering and if they snubbed their noses they went without dinner (we meal feed, every 12hrs) until the next meal. They did eventually learn that they eat if they're hungry or they go without (****NOTE**** none of our cats were overweight at this point and we never let them go more than 24hrs without eating -- the next meal was always something everyone would eat, with a side of organ for the picky one).

Then our eldest started to throw up ALL beef liver he ate, so we had to get different liver for him. Argh. Pan in the butt!

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you for the words of encouragement, I needed that!

I think our black cat, Miles, will be the toughest. He has lost weight since we started this endeavor so I'm thrilled that he's finally eating full meals of the ground with canned. I just fear that once there's too much raw for his liking he'll quit on me again. Why must our feline friends be SO FINICKY?!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat

And it drives me batty how they'll loooove something for days and then suddenly decide that you are trying to poison them!!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Senior Cat

If you're concerned about them no wanting it anymore, I wouldn't. It's technically different every few weeks! You're adding more raw/less canned. Voila! Different food.

You could also do as AC has recommended by adding bits of freeze dried liver/chicken/fish treats, fish food, etc to entice the picky one. AND! Once you get to the meat chunks level you can keep it interesting by adding new meat all the time! Our cats have had goat (didnt like it), rabbit, quail, frog, fish, moose, deer, mice, rats, chicken, goose, pheasant, turkey, beef, pork, lamb, and we're hoping every so often to get more exotic meats. Never boring here! (although, the majority of their diet is beef heart - they will NEVER tire of that stuff)

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelsaurusRexU View Post
Thank you for the words of encouragement, I needed that!

I think our black cat, Miles, will be the toughest. He has lost weight since we started this endeavor so I'm thrilled that he's finally eating full meals of the ground with canned. I just fear that once there's too much raw for his liking he'll quit on me again. Why must our feline friends be SO FINICKY?!
Yes, unfortunately it often does take a very long time. Just make the incremental increases so incredibly tiny, he doesn't realize there's more and more until voila!, it's all raw. *smile*

As for the bones - I wouldn't even try to feed any non-ground at this point, and definitely not chicken necks (I'm not sure why they seem to be one of the most oft-recommended starter bones, but they're thick and tough - my cats won't eat 'em to this day).

Hang in there, you can do it!!

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page