Dry to raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Dry to raw

I just started seeing a new vet for my cat Abbey who won't eat anything. All tests were normal...blood, ultrasounds, fecal. She put her on a raw diet which I am struggling with getting her to eat.

We thought it would be easier for me and smart to change my other cat's diet. Shelby has NEVER had wet food and has been dry her whole 8 years of life. She will not eat ANYTHING. She has not had anything to eat in 3 days and I am freaking out. Vet says she will eat when she is hungry enough.

I am now force feeding both cats with "baby" raw food made from Chicken, half and half and eggs.

Any suggestions will be appreciated for both the ailing cat and the 8 year old.

Going nuts in GA....
Teresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Cool Cat

First things first, get some food into that cat. I don't care what it is (assuming he's not diabetic or something), it's terrible that your vet suggests you let your cat go without food for that long, it is very dangerous. I would avoid foce feeding the raw just because I am afraid the cat will associate the smell of raw with unpleasent experiences and that will make things harder.

Then, you can start working on a transition. If you take a TINY sliver of raw chicken breast and put it down with the cat's dry will he eat it?

And tell us more about the diet you plan on feeding (whole, ground, supplements, etc.).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

There are 2 cats here. The healthy 8 year old one eating the dry food was eating Hills Science Diet dry for 8 years. Then on Wed, I picked it up and she has not eaten a drop other than what I forced her to eat today.

Should I go back to the dry food in your opinion? My thoughts are just that. Go back to the dry food for now with her and transition her when I am not dealing with a dying cat - the original problem.

The sick cat has not been eating other than a few mouthfuls at a time previously. I had a regular vet and regular medicines....Thyroid medicine. Then about 3 months ago her eating slowed down and now is non existent. I took her to my regular vet and they can not tell me why she is not eating. I've tried everything....all different cat foods, warm, cold, mixed with water, clam juice. Dry wet, you name it.

Finally took her to a holistic vet who took her off her meds and gave her some adjusting. Told me to switch to all raw diet. Nothing is any better. If anything worse. The new holistic vet says it takes time. I'm so confused and crazy worried.

Please give advise on both kitties.

Teresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with siameseifuplz. Even if you have to give your cat dry, it is better than not feeding at all. It amazes me that a vet would say "she will eat when she's hungry enough". Below are some links to several posts in response to another member who was thinking of transitioning to raw. You might find some helpful information in one or both of them.

https://www.catforum.com/forum/62-raw...tml#post685937

https://www.catforum.com/forum/62-raw...tml#post685884

Some of the articles referred to in the above posts suggest that sometimes you might need to move from dry to wet, and then from wet to raw. Below is a link to a post I recently made in response to a poster who was trying to switch from dry to wet. This approach worked for me, but not for the person who had originally made the post -- so, a lot will depend on the cat, but perhaps you might find some things that will work for you.

https://www.catforum.com/forum/38-hea...tml#post690508
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Any suggestions on an healthier dry food option?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

In my opinion, there really isn't such a thing as a "healthy" dry food (Species-Inappropriate: The Dangers of Dry Food). That said, I wholeheartedly second & third the previous suggestions - feed those poor girls whatever they will eat!

After a couple of days eating regular meals - whatever they are - you can begin transitioning your cats again. Some folks go right from dry to raw, others go from dry to canned to raw; it all depends upon the tastes of the cats.

This article will give you some helpful tips for transitioning, whichever way you chose to switch them: http://www.catinfo.org/docs/Tips%20f...2012-18-09.pdf

Take the transition just as slow as your kitties desire, but don't make them go hungry (crazy that the vet said that *shakes head*), and don't actually mix the kibble with either the canned or the raw, as kibble has a great deal of bacteria that will grow very fast once it gets damp.

Things that might tempt your furbabies to eat are: freeze-dried 100% meat treats sprinkled over the foods (Whole Life makes several flavors that never fail to entice my cats to eat), Parmesan cheese, bonito flakes, the juice from cans of water-packed, no-salt-added tuna and sardines, catnip, and strangely enough, flaked fish food.

The very best of luck to you!!! I'm so sorry you're having such a scary time. <<<<hugs>>>>
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:53 AM
Cat

Fish flakes are a hit with all of my cats. You can also try those Pleco algae wafers. Maybe not as healthy but my cats think they are the bees knees. You can also try going to a pet treat store and get some liver jerky or, really, any jerky (make sure it's ONLY dried, nothing else on it etc.). Sugar will eat weird stuff and one of those is my rabbits meadow grass hay, sounds weird and probably not good for her but... yeah. She also eats tomatoes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page