Starting to try raw - to help puking and diarrhea - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Starting to try raw - to help puking and diarrhea

I have two cats. One of them pukes frequently. Lately, he's been puking up the canned (Blue Spa Select, or Nutro) every time I gave it to him. So, I had to give him dry (also Blue or Nutro) since he usually kept that down.

Last week, I went away on vacation. 1 week before that, he had a bunch of diarrhea which managed to clear up before vacation. While on vacation, I had someone come over each day for 30 minute to feed them. The day I got back, he had started having severe diarrhea (before I arrived), all over the house. I locked him in the bathroom and stopped feeding him, where he continued the diarrhea (mostly missing the litter box) until he was done 24 hours later. So I knew I had to start trying to feed him again to see how it goes.

I have 6 different types of food in the house, both canned and dry, and none of them were doing well with him. So, I thought I'd give raw food a try since the nearby store sells Nature's Variety in the freezer. He looked at it suspiciously at first, but ate it for the first time yesterday. I fed it to him two more times today. So far, so good... no puking. He hasn't pooed yet, but I'm looking forward to that to make sure it isn't diarrhea (so I can finally let him out of the bathroom - he's actually starting to like it in there).

Now, the other cat has so far refused to touch the raw food. She's currently rejecting every canned food I have, and all the dry except for Blue. But, she also hasn't been having the puking and diarrhea problems, she's just really picky.

Is this a reasonable path to be on? From a brief search, it looks like many of you have horrible things to say about Nature's Variety, but please relax a bit and not rip me a new one... I'm new to this and don't know how to make any raw food myself yet. Snowball needed to eat something after exhausting all other options I currently have, so this looks like it may help. I don't mind the price, seems reasonable compared to Blue canned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Banned

When my cat was puking and had loose stools, antibiotics and getting enough fluids in him were the primary concerns.

In fact, recommendation was to entirely withold food at first.

Cats can go a long time without eating, but I was told that they can dehydrate with loose stools/puking very very quickly. One other thing I was told was that it was more important to stick with a food and not expect instant results, and that it was bad to keep changing diets. Pumpkin and pure yogurt (no sugars and what not) with good bacteria were also good supplements to any food.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Banned

Commercially-prepared raw, if you're ok with the expense, is certainly preferable to no raw at all. Nor have I, at least, heard/read anything particularly negative in reference to Nature's Variety raw foods.

Tips to get your hold-out kitty to start eating the raw include: freeze-dried 100% meat treats sprinkled over the foods (Whole Life makes several flavors that never fail to entice my cats to eat; Chicken is a real favorite), Parmesan cheese, bonito flakes, the juice from cans of water-packed, no-salt-added tuna and sardines, catnip, and strangely enough, flaked fish food.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!!

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Hopefully he won't need any antibiotics. It isn't clear to me that he has any infection (he otherwise seems fine), although I suppose he could.

He's picky about drinking water so I wish he'd drink more. I managed to get him to drink some by letting the faucet drip - he likes that. Plus hopefully he's getting some from the food, although I haven't been feeding him much yet.

I didn't know about the freeze-dried raw yet. Parmesan cheese? Is cheese OK for cats? I know plain milk is bad. I've found I can get her to eat some canned if I sprinkle tiny amounts of tuna in it, although she's very good at eating just the tuna; I'm worried that's not good to give her though. I didn't think about using just the water from the cans -- is that OK to do? I buy water-packed tuna for myself but I'm not sure I recall seeing any that is salt-free. I bet she'd like the tuna water.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palanggingging View Post
He's picky about drinking water so I wish he'd drink more. I managed to get him to drink some by letting the faucet drip - he likes that.
There are many options, but I got the Drinkwell Platinum (well multiple of em):

The kitties seem really drawn to the sound and sight of the stream of water, and they guzzle it down like there's no tomorrow. Before that I tried glasses and bowls of water, but weren't particularly interested in it. Good luck with the raw.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palanggingging View Post
...I didn't know about the freeze-dried raw yet. Parmesan cheese? Is cheese OK for cats? I know plain milk is bad. I've found I can get her to eat some canned if I sprinkle tiny amounts of tuna in it, although she's very good at eating just the tuna; I'm worried that's not good to give her though. I didn't think about using just the water from the cans -- is that OK to do? I buy water-packed tuna for myself but I'm not sure I recall seeing any that is salt-free. I bet she'd like the tuna water.
These are tips for things to very lightly sprinkle over whatever canned / raw foods you're trying to get your kitties to eat, not real foods in and of themselves. A little goes a long way.

AC
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I tried one of those pet fountains long ago for them. They liked it, except one of them did way too much playing in it and made a complete mess every day. Plus she had a fascination of trying to get underneath it for some reason. One day, I came home to discover that she had flipped it! So, no more pet fountain for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page