Rabbit meat........smell?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Rabbit meat........smell??

Ok, since I'm new to raw feeding, I have a silly question. Should rabbit meat have a very strong, very distinct odor?

I ordered my first batch of rabbit as a test from this supplier, and it was wonderful. Smelled fresh, and no real odor that would turn my stomach. Everything went great, the kitties ate it all up.......loved it!

I just picked up 50 lbs of it, and when I went to open up one of the bags yesterday, the smell was just overwhelming! It smelled very strong. I don't know if it's a rotting smell, or if something was left in that shouldn't have been.

They exchanged it for me, so I had a new batch, from a complete different day. Went to open a bag this morning, and same smell! (Insert barf emoticon here!)

Since there is such a complete difference in smell between this batch, and my first test batch, I'm thinking either I didn't get what I asked for the first time, or something was left in that shouldn't have been this time.

Should rabbit meat have a strong odor, even with the head, and organs, left in the mix? I have one kitty who will eat anything you put in front of him, I gave him a bit of beef, he gobbled it down, and then I put down a bit of the rabbit for him, he sniffed it, laid next to it, and batted at it. He wouldn't eat it.

This puts me in a bit of a pickle! I have kitties with allergies, who were doing amazing on the test batch, and now all I have left to feed is some beef, which I will try. Mz. Diva (aka Patches), won't eat it, so I'm going to end up feeding her kibble. After yesterdays fiasco, I used up whatever little reserve I had in the freezer. I guess I'm going to have to keep extra stock on hand from now on, but that doesn't help me out now. Shipping meat to my house is way to expensive, and there is no other local supplier in my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Cat Addict

I bought a fresh rabbit this week...

and yes, there is an odor, but it's not very strong like what you are describing. Mind you, it was beheaded, but the rest of the rabbit was intact. Something just doesn't sound right there.

Sorry to hear your in such a bind.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

Fresh meat of any kind does NOT have a strong smell, OwnedByACat. Yes, meats do have differing odors, but excepting organ products, you shouldn't be able to smell it without putting your nose right on top of it.

And while cats can easily handle meat that's a little off, if there's a crazy strong odor, I'm not sure I'd feed it.

Sorry!

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Kitten

Just out of curiousity, what kind of rabbit do you get whenever you order? My husband hunts cotton tail, is that safe? He could get jack rabbit but I'm not sure the pets can have it? I know cotton tail are more clean.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks for the feedback. Right after posting, I took about a lb of it down the road to our country meat market. They handle all sorts of odd human food meats, and he has handled rabbit meat, so it knows it's smell. Even inside the meat market, with all the aromas of fresh meat floating around in the air, he said that it is definately off. To him, he said it smells like they left it sit out to long before packaging it up.

I also called another rabbitry that processes pet quality meat, and he also confirmed it should not have the strong odor like I'm describing. He almost wonders if they didn't take out the bile duct, or possibly left the guts in. He also said rabbit meat produces a very strong enzyme that is quite nasty, if the meat is not frozen quickly after processing, it will quickly begin to go ransid. Hmmmmmm! Red flags going up all over.

This other rabbitry place is 4 hours away, and they only deliver to our area every 6 weeks, they were here last week. BUT, he said he is coming to our area for personal reasons on friday. His wife, however, doesn't like it when he mixes business with pleasure, so he's not sure if he will be able to get me any supply or not. I will hear from him tomorrow. Cross your fingers for me please! I told him it would just be a one time deal, and I'm really in a bind.

In the mean time, I went to pick up a bag of Natures Variety rabbit, but I hate feeding it, they still itched when I fed it. Patches, as I figured, won't eat it, or the beef, so she'll get kibble until I can get the new rabbit here. Dave said if he can't deliver it friday, we'll take a drive. What a nice hubby!

The owner of this other rabbitry facility at least knows what he's talking about. He seemed very educated when I spoke with him. He better be.........it's $1 more per pound!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

Good luck, OwnedByACat!

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page