Can I get help with calculations? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Can I get help with calculations?

I have two cats on ground raw (for now) and Iím getting ready to make a freezer stash with organs I can add to it. One cat is old and thin but very tall so his ideal weight should probably be around 12 pounds. The other cat is young and lean but tiny so I would say 10-ish is her ideal. Iíve been working with 5 ounces a day for her and 6 for him but some days they donít finish it and other days they want more.

SoÖ If I were to make batches of organs to add to one meal on M/W/F, how much would that be? Do I take their 11 ounces of meat a day, multiply it by 7, take 10% of that and then figure out how to condense it into 3 meals? Thatís where Iím lost. Also, would it be overload if they got their organs in larger percentages fewer times a week? I thought I might try to work on the bones for the other meal those days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Banned

Hi, Cake.

I have a spreadsheet that makes all these calculations for you. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Technically, you could feed one or two very large organ meals a week, but realistically, you can't feed more than the cats can "handle", as "too much" organ can sometimes cause upset tummies.

I feed four organ meals a week, two liver and two a mix of kidney, etc.

Regards.

AC
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

That would be great. Thanks!

I am going to do 5 meals with organs, mostly because it would be easier to remember weekdays/weekends versus MWF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

The spreadsheet was very helpful, Auntie Crazy. Thank you again.

After spending a couple hours chopping and weighting such tiny portions, do you think I could put equal amounts in a food processor, mix it all up and weigh the pureed amount? I have 3 young children who don’t often leave me alone for more than a few minutes so that would be a great time saver.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Banned

How you serve it after you've weighed it is really a non-issue, so, yes, sure, you could.... keeping in mind that the more a meat is "processed", the more the nutrient content is degraded.

Can't tell you by how much, though, 'cause we simply don't know (this is why folks who feed ground often supplement).

AC
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

What about beef heart? I have a whole bunch of that and only one cat that seems to tolerate any kind of beef. Since it’s both a muscle and an organ, what proportions do I feet it in?

I was hoping to give it to the beef eating cat as an entire meal a couple times a week.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post
What about beef heart? I have a whole bunch of that and only one cat that seems to tolerate any kind of beef. Since itís both a muscle and an organ, what proportions do I feet it in?

I was hoping to give it to the beef eating cat as an entire meal a couple times a week.
Heart, for raw-feeding purposes, is considered muscle meat, so go ahead with your plan, Cake. In fact, that's exactly how I feed it - as breakfast three times a week (one turkey, one duck, one chicken).

AC
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Next question.

If I feed the heart as a meal, do I still add the daily requirement of organs? I’m currently using beef kidney and chicken liver.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post
Next question.

If I feed the heart as a meal, do I still add the daily requirement of organs? Iím currently using beef kidney and chicken liver.
Yes, since the heart counts as part of the meat percentages.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Cat Addict

So what other organs really count as organs?

I know liver and kidneys...what else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page