how do kittens get calcium? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

how do kittens get calcium?

CanNOT believe this didn't occur to me sooner! How do weaned kittens get sufficient calcium when they aren't yet eating bone?

I've been giving SFK chunks of chicken breast cut so she's exposed to as much bone as possible. But she just cleans them.

What should I be giving her? And what are symptoms of calcium deficit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Tom Cat

A cats natural prey generally contains small bones. So when kittens are starting to wean they are exposed to the bones they will naturally consume for the rest of their life. But those natural prey bones are far smaller than bones that we normally feed today. Even though the bones of a mouse may seem like a task for a small one. We can't forget that a cats mouth is an efficient cutting machine. And a kitten still has a fair amount of strength in their jaws, ask me how I know this . By the time they are fully weaned they will have had much practice, and are a little stronger, at consuming those small bones.

To get calcium into a kitten you can either grind up the bones or take something like a chicken neck and smash it to break the bones. Another way would be to feed small mice. But that can get expensive unless you buy in bulk. If you don't want to break anything up then you can try and feed chicken ribs (which might be what your doing right now). They are small and somewhat soft but will be a tiny challenge for a small one.

When I acquired my last kitty, he was still a kitten and on mothers milk. All of my other cats were on ground raw at that time, so i just started him on that. He took to the raw right away. About 4-5 months later I switched to whole food. It took him a bit to get through the chicken necks. But in the end everything went down the hatch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page