Going back and forth between canned and raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Going back and forth between canned and raw

I started fostering two cats around 6 weeks ago and made a decision to keep one soon after. Now Iím considering keeping the other guy, too, but I canít make any promises until I see how well he fits into our life (heís currently all alone in a bedroom). Part of that would be eating the same things as my other two and his rescuer agreed to let me try raw.

If he didnít work out for me and we couldnít find an adopter who would raw feed, would he be able to go back to canned easily? Whether he stays or goes, Iíd like to give it a try but not if itís going to cause him problems in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Kitten

Hi. It's fine, as long as your cannsolutely Grainfree! That way you won't run into digestive issues, the ingreedients will be very similar. I haven't found the throw up issues that you find mixing dry with raw. My guy just started to eat Nature's Variety, the little one ounce circles, before that he was doing Orijen dry, and whatever ween the 2 food types, she lived for seven teen years. Try it and see, but you should be fine..hope he works out for you. grain free canned he'd eat. Now it's either the raw or the wet, he's ignoring the dry. I had an old girl who regularly bounced beted food is ab
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Jr. Cat

Hi Cake, I'm in a similar situation. SemiFeralKitty has been on raw-only but at the moment I don't have refrigeration, so she's been getting cooked food. Today's ration is a hot dog ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post
I started fostering two cats around 6 weeks ago and made a decision to keep one soon after. Now Iím considering keeping the other guy, too, but I canít make any promises until I see how well he fits into our life (heís currently all alone in a bedroom). Part of that would be eating the same things as my other two and his rescuer agreed to let me try raw.

If he didnít work out for me and we couldnít find an adopter who would raw feed, would he be able to go back to canned easily? Whether he stays or goes, Iíd like to give it a try but not if itís going to cause him problems in the long run.
Congratulations on the new family members, Cake!

There should be no issues whatever in transitioning the cat from canned to raw and back again, as long as the kitty is willing to make the transitions. I did exactly this with my fosters, dry to canned to raw and then back to canned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzmom View Post
Hi. It's fine, as long as your cannsolutely Grainfree! That way you won't run into digestive issues, the ingreedients will be very similar. ...
Hi, Fuzzmom! While I'm in full agreement with you that feeding both canned meals and raw meals in the same day shouldn't be the cause of any issues, I have to disagree that the ingredients are similar. Although canned is far superior to kibble, raw is a quantum leap over canned, and they actually have very little in common. It's kinda like comparing apple pop tarts and apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeH View Post
Hi Cake, I'm in a similar situation. SemiFeralKitty has been on raw-only but at the moment I don't have refrigeration, so she's been getting cooked food. Today's ration is a hot dog ...
Yikes. ZoeH, I know you're without refrigeration at the moment, but hot dogs are really not a good food item for cats. They're already cooked, for one, and they contain an awful lot of salt. I sure hope you get your fridge back soon!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

We aren’t going to keep the second foster cat. His cast iron stomach seems to do well on anything but he came from a bad situation and I could never get him over being so food driven. He either inhaled what was on his plate and stole from the other cats or he didn’t like what was offered and pushed them away from their food anyway. When all else failed, he persistently dug through the trash for something that smelled good.

I tried every variation of locking cats up to eat and it just caused more stress for everyone, so he’s back in the bedroom overnight for canned dinner and breakfast. Unfortunately, that means he doesn’t fit into our lifestyle.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Cat Addict

Sorry to hear, Cake. I also have a cat who is very food aggressive. I just lock her up in the bathroom for her meals and will most likely need to so for the rest of her life. She is a sweetie otherwise. She has quickly become my own personal kitty and a real purring machine. With time and patience she will get better gradually, but I don't think she will ever be able to eat around other animals without dominating ALL the food bowls. It's been 4 months since we brought her home and she is now tolerating being in the same room without trying to steal food from your plate and she has given up her nightly dumpster dives. She now realizes food is in constant supply here and she doesn't have to compete for food.

Good luck with your decision, but please know that with some time and patience your foster will overcome some of its current issues. It won't always be this bad.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I would love to give him more time but I have 3 young kids who cause a lot of mealtime commotion and a slow moving senior cat that needs every calorie I can get in him. Foster #1 does steal his food but she eats at a reasonable pace so I can put his down first to give him a head start. Unfortunately for Foster #2, he sometimes got locked in a room to eat and forgotten about so it was easier just to put him back in the bedroom with water and a litter box for a set time.

I’m hoping he can be adopted out as an only cat or to someone with a lot of space and patience because he’s delightful, other than the food issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page