I think my old guy is constipated - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I think my old guy is constipated

For the last 10 days heís had episodes where he wants to lay in an unusual spot and be left alone. Doesnít want to come to bed with me (that never happens) and doesnít want to be touched. Sometimes I notice heís laying in an odd position. Of course, this always happens late at night and Iíve gotten dressed to take him to the ER twice now, only for him to snap out of it. Each time heís been fine the next morning, and I wake up with him snuggled up next to me and demanding breakfast. Last night he didnít want dinner and vomited some of his breakfast this morning. He also vomited once yesterday.

It was about two weeks ago that I started him on meat with bones and heís done really well, but I canít get him to eat much of the organs. I didnít put it together until this morning so I havenít been keeping a close eye on the litter box but I know there was some poop in there yesterday. No idea if it was leftover from Monday, though.

Besides skipping bone meals, is there anything I can do to help him out? More organs isnít really an option unless I can trick him into eating them somehow. He gets ďsardine soupĒ on Mondays, which is raw egg (with shell) and a sardine mixed in. I canít get him to eat the egg without the sardine, but I could try just adding the juice in if that will help loosen things up.

In the meantime Iím giving him smaller, extra juicy meals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Cat Addict

Constipation happens. I was in my Vet's office on a Friday morning and it was full of old cats in for an enema. The desk guy told me it happens a lot with old cats and people notice a problem then decide on a Friday that they better get it taken care of before the weekend.

It's an option for you.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Tom Cat

My 7 year old female has chronic constipation which she's on meds 2x's daily for, so I deal with this on a daily basis. So I could give some suggestions in that area.

But I think your first step, is to figure out if your cat is truly constipated or not. Keep a close eye on his litterbox, and if you can catch him in the act - check to see if he's having alot of unproductive straining episodes.

Cats should have a bowel movement once daily. Or every other day at the very least. But I think I have read that cats on raw, go less? Not sure. I don't feed raw, so maybe someone else that does can chime in on that.

I would consider a vet trip if his odd behavior continues, with vomitting and not wanting to be touched. It may be constipation, or it may be something totally different. Its always best to get a correct diagnosis, before attempting a treatment. Good luck.

Last edited by Kattt; 10-07-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Cat

It's not uncommon for raw fed cats to go a day or two without a BM.

Have you considered hair balls?

I like to give my 2 raw fed boys coconut oil in their food to help remove hairballs. Maybe some more fat in his diet will help out.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

It turns out he was jut a LOT more arthritic than I thought. Of course, I only found out after taking him in for more bloodwork (it was fine) and then he couldnít walk the next day. Now I have him on Cosequin and heís a totally different cat. No more painful episodes and he jumps all over my kitchen counters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page