Dry food as snack? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Dry food as snack?

Thanks to Martha Stewart, again I have 10 bags of 20 lb cheap dry food bags. The shelter received a huge haul so they donated me some since I maintain a feral/stray cat colony. My cats LOVE dry food more than their raw meals. I mean, they go absolutely nuts when I take out the dry food bags and when I give them a few pieces they eat it like they've been starving all along. So do you think I can give them some as a snack? Like a fistful of dry food per day? Or do you think it would hurt their digestive system?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Senior Cat

I don't think I would, atleast not daily, because dry food is so different compared to raw.

Maybe give it to them a few times a month? Whenever we tried giving kibble as a snack or treat our guys got THE WORST runs from it. So we use canned for treats and ZiwiPeak dehydrated raw.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Senior Cat

I wouldn't either. Dry food is digested much slower than raw and most people suggest waiting twelve hours after feeding dry to give a raw meal.

Kibble is designed to taste good - like candy. But that doesn't mean they need it How about some freeze dried meat treats instead - or like Muzby suggested, a tiny bit of canned food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Banned

Third vote against, for all the reasons listed.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks! I will use Wellness canned food as a treat once in a while.

What other items besides freeze dried treats and canned food do you guys use as treats and snacks?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Premier Cat

In addition to PureBites (freeze dried), I give mine a new treat called "Go!". It's grain-free and healthier than Pounce, Temptations, etc. And my girls love Go!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Senior Cat

I use ZiwiPeak dry food as treats most often. It's dehyrated raw, keeps long, etc. We use the regular dehydrated stuff (chicken/duck/cheese/fish) and they get cooked meat when we have it as treats. Cooked shrimp is a big favourite.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page