Raw Feeding Success - Resistance To Fleas - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Raw Feeding Success - Resistance To Fleas

They seem to be doing great on raw meats, and I haven't given them any canned or dry foods in several months. They have nice shiny coats, good appetite, and look great.

I'm amazed that for the first time in years, I have not had to apply any flea stuff (like Advantage, Frontline, etc.) on their shoulder blade in many months.
We think it's because the raw meats have made them so healthy they are flea resistant. When they used to get too many fleas, they'd scratch themselves more often and it would really irritate them, and that was when I knew it was time for a Frontline application, but I hated to use that chemical on them. Luke always hated to have it applied. I really think this is one of the benefits of feeding them raw. I have a vial of that stuff that I may never have toi use, I"m hoping.

Joe

BTW - here they are :

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...icture155a.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...17-85PSE7a.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...ubPortrait.jpg

Last edited by marie73; 10-15-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: font
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Cat

I'm pretty new to raw feeding, (both dogs and cats), just at two weeks for the cats. I've read quite a bit but certainly not everything and I've not heard anyone mention this benefit.

That would be fantastic! if it helped with flea problems. I hope you keep everyone updated on how that is going in the future. That could be a great tipping point for someone thinking about switching.

I think it is entirely possible because at one time, way in the past, I would give my cats some brewer's yeast sprinkled on their food to keep the fleas away. I don't do that now but it certainly worked so food or diet can indeed help.

Right now I am using FleaBusters so I won't know for at least another 10 months or so if it's the raw diet that keeps them away. (I have used FB in the past and it worked for over 5 years) but maybe, if this really does help out, I can rip out these carpets and get new ones and not have to retreat. EVER!

That would be awesome. Thanks!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Senior Cat

We love the fleafreezone that rawfeeding helps with!

Our neighbours are pretty dirty people, and they often have infestations. Even though this is an old house, and we're in the basement, we have yet to have a problem!

We've got the 5 cats and two chihuahuas - so it does work! Now, if I could just get the ticks in our backyard to leave us alone.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Hi,

I've used brewers yeast before but it had little effect when the flea population would multiply. I bought this house with 5 rooms of carpet and flea eggs used to fall off them and hatch in the carpet and multiply and it got bad here at times, but 24 hours after Frontline, they were OK.

Most days I let Luke out into a 5x10' enclosure I built out back. Lots of fleas here from Squirrels, possums, raccoons, cats, dogs, etc., but they don't seem to like a healthy host. I really think it's the raw feeding because I've bought Adv, FL, etc., for years for fleas, but now I don't need it. They may have a flea or two but not enough to bother them much, so I'll pass on flea poison from now on.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Cat

I've never heard of this benefit before and of course had to google it. It's a benefit that many other people have noticed, apparently. It seems that fleas feed upon weaker animals, such as kittens and cats with weakened immune systems. A raw diet improves cats' health and so makes them less of an easy target for fleas. I'm finding more and more reasons to switch my girls over to raw!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Cat

I have also noticed this with my animals and I've heard other people say the same. Good stuff!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I found 3 fleas on Luke the other night but the fleas may have been looking for warmth, because it's colder out now (Luke goes outdoors, Cubby does not -- yet). I found no fleas on Cubby.

I plan to continue to feed them raw and be glad I don't have to use flea chemicals on them any more. I'd rather pay more for their food up front than see vet bills and health issues later. I realize they may still get health issues but I believe they will be less in frequency and severity.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Rule View Post
I found 3 fleas on Luke the other night but the fleas may have been looking for warmth, because it's colder out now (Luke goes outdoors, Cubby does not -- yet). I found no fleas on Cubby.

I plan to continue to feed them raw and be glad I don't have to use flea chemicals on them any more. I'd rather pay more for their food up front than see vet bills and health issues later. I realize they may still get health issues but I believe they will be less in frequency and severity.
I'm very interested in this and ask if you would be willing to keep updating this post? You said you found three fleas on Luke...would you be willing to let us know if the fleas are all gone or have multiplied in a few weeks, a month, a couple of months, etc?

I don't know where you live, maybe in the winter time it gets really cold and the fleas will die off but seriously, please let us know how it goes when the weather warms up again and flea season begins again. This would be great if raw kept fleas away even if the cat goes outside.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Senior Cat

My barn cats no longer get fleas. The house cats don't either They are all raw fed.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I'd be glad to keep you updated on this.

I live in NE Tennessee, and it gets quite cold here in Winter. The last time I applied FL[Frontline] to Luke was last Spring, when he began to seem overwhelmed with fleas. In past years, the fleas were the worst around September or so, but this year was no issue at all. I'm encouraged they made it through Summer with no FL. I expected to have to apply FL to Cubby, but since he adopted me last May, I have not had to.

From now on, it's raw meats only for them. Once in a while, but not often, I give them cooked meat if they ask for something to eat and all I have unfrozen is cooked people meat. This seems to go fine with their systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page