Opinions on our Raw Feeding Plan Please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Opinions on our Raw Feeding Plan Please

As per my last thread (to which I have not received any responses yet ) we are transitioning our 4 year old male with FIC to raw. He is a little guy at 8lbs, Himi cross. On canned (Go!) he eats about 3/4 of a can a day.

So far so good. He mostly finishes the little pieces of meat we are leaving next to his slightly smaller than usual canned meals.

Can the raw community here please give me some feedback on our tentative feeding plan:

Total daily intake: 1.5oz/41g per meal at 2 meals per day

80% muscle meat/heart: 33g
10% RMB: 4g
5% Liver: 2g
5% Other organ: 2g
Occasional sardine
2 raw eggs or yolks per week

Supplements:
-Taurine

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by marie73; 10-23-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: font
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

I would increase the RMBs to maybe 20% (I'm assuming the RMBs are about 50% bones and 50% meat) so you have at least 10% pure bone in the diet.

Otherwise it looks great.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

Your post doesn't really contain enough information on which to form an opinion, Jackie_hubert.

The raw feeding formula is 80 / 10 / 5 / 5 (that's 80% meat, etc. / 10% bones / 5% liver / 5% other secreting organ); your plan seems to be very much in line with that so as far as it goes, I'd say it's fine.

Can you try for three feedings, though? Cats evolved to eat many small meals a day and they'll often get upset tummies if they go without for too long (of course "too long" is subjective and specific to every cat).

Regards.

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Tom Cat

Uh oh I really need to take that advice. I feed my cats raw in morning around 7-9 am. Then I feed them at 9 pm. But only because my classes at 7 pm.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone. I've decreased the muscle meat to 70% and increased RMB to 20%, considering that RMB includes about 50% muscle meat.

Is there anything else I should supplement with other than taurine? And how much of taurine should I give?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Cat

If you feed them thigh meat and other muscle meats often, I don't think they need taurine at all. I don't give taurine to my 2 cats.

The more a muscle is used, the more taurine it contains. Thigh, leg, wing, heart, kidney, are all good sources, followed by breast.

I don't worry about percentages. I just got into a routine that I feed them whole Cornish hen every 3rd or 4th day, then pork, chicken, turkey thigh, Salmon, egg, etc. One of them won't eat liver but will eat hen back that contains kidney.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned

I feed frankenprey and don't add any supplements. Heart is on my cats' menu three times a week, so I'm comfortable not adding extra taurine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Rule View Post
...I don't worry about percentages. I just got into a routine that I feed them whole Cornish hen every 3rd or 4th day, then pork, chicken, turkey thigh, Salmon, egg, etc. One of them won't eat liver but will eat hen back that contains kidney.
If you originally formed your routine using percentages, then I'm sure it's fine, but I'm a little alarmed by your comment about the liver. Liver is a required ingredient and not something that you should feel comfortable not feeding.

Regards!

AC
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Cat

I thawed some frozen cooked chicken liver and they both seemed glad to eat that last night. Cubby, as of yet, will not touch raw liver.

I never dealt much with percentages. I just feed them a raw and varied diet and they seem fine on it. I don't think cats will be affected much if their diet doesn't fit perfectly into a certain percentage range of bone, meat, organs, and fat.

Luke's food of choice is a meaty bone, and Cornish Hen leg most of all. He loves to get into the bathtub and chomp on a nice meaty bone. He'll strip a turkey leg or thigh of all meat. He'll eat gizzards and most liver.

Cubby won't eat gizzards and isn't crazy about heart. Still, I think he'll be fine on the varied foods he does eat.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone. Oscar is now on 50% canned 50% ground meat and small chunks of meat. We hope to add in some bone next week and see what happens. If he ends up not eating bone, what should I supplement for it?

I will ensure he eats heart as part of his diet and cross off the taurine.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Rule View Post
I thawed some frozen cooked chicken liver and they both seemed glad to eat that last night. Cubby, as of yet, will not touch raw liver.
Liver is very important in a raw diet. You said you feed cooked chicken liver? It's not suppose to be cooked. Cooking the meat makes it lose vital nutrients. How long have you been trying to transition Cubby on a raw diet? Without liver in the raw diet, the diet will be unbalanced. Also, I hope you stick to percentages...they really do matter. A lot of vets are reluctant to promote raw diets because of that very reason. People don't go by percentages. I've been feeding raw for almost a year now but I still measure everything. I also hope you're feeding 5% of another organ besides liver.

Whatever you do, you HAVE to stick to the 80-10-5-5 rule. There's no exceptions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page