Quick Breakfast ideas? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cprcheetah Send a message via MSN to cprcheetah Send a message via Yahoo to cprcheetah Send a message via Skype™ to cprcheetah
Quick Breakfast ideas?

My cats currently aren't eating raw except tidbits that I share from the dogs food (I have been feeding raw to my dogs since July and absolutely LOVE it. All of the cats (except Mini Dee) absolutely LOVE raw, they like chicken, beef & pork, turkey, fish, liver and inhale it every time I share with them. I am wanting to start switching them from canned to raw, my question is 3 days a week I leave for work pretty early in the morning and don't have a lot of time in the morning to sit & watch the cats to make sure they don't have problems with their meals. As I usually put their canned food down right before I walk out the door to leave for work. I know once they get used to it I could offer smaller cuts of meat and/or grinds (which I know aren't ideal) but will work in a pinch. What could I do to make it easier/quicker eating in the mornings? The reason I haven't fully switched my cats is my hubby is more attached to the cats than the dogs, so he wanted to make sure if they were going to get sick & die from eating raw it was the dogs & not the cats LOL, but I've pretty much convinced him now raw is the way to go, and it will be cheaper in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Tom Cat

I love that raw food is so cheap too!

At first, I was dreading waking up early in the morning at 6 am for my classes but I somehow managed. As soon as I would wake up to get ready, before I did anything I would go in the kitchen, get the ziploc out that had their packed meal in it then leave it in warm water to thaw. It usually thaws within 30 minutes. So within those minutes, I get ready for work or school. And then when I'm about to head out I just open the bag and put it on their plates and leave. Usually I don't feed bones in the morning because I don't have the time to supervise.

Or you can leave their meal in the fridge overnight to thaw and it'll be ready by morning. For me, it's less complicated than opening up a can with a can opener and then putting it in a bowl and microwaving it. This way you can just throw the bag in warm water, go get ready, come back and place it in their bowls.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Banned

I move my foods from the freezer to the fridge every morning and give them 24 hours to thaw, but the additional time is probably because my meals contain enough food for six cats - rather than one or two - and so take longer to defrost.

As for breakfast, one of my goals from the start was to ensure my cats' breakfast was easy enough for my hectic mornings. *eye roll*

Three times a week, they get hearts for breakfast, and you can't get any easier than that. Twice a week, they get chunks of beef and twice a week, they get chunks of pork; both the beef and pork are cut into chunks before they're frozen, so I just take the food out of the fridge and drop it onto their plates.

Good luck with your transition!

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cprcheetah Send a message via MSN to cprcheetah Send a message via Yahoo to cprcheetah Send a message via Skype™ to cprcheetah
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010 View Post
I love that raw food is so cheap too!

At first, I was dreading waking up early in the morning at 6 am for my classes but I somehow managed. As soon as I would wake up to get ready, before I did anything I would go in the kitchen, get the ziploc out that had their packed meal in it then leave it in warm water to thaw. It usually thaws within 30 minutes. So within those minutes, I get ready for work or school. And then when I'm about to head out I just open the bag and put it on their plates and leave. Usually I don't feed bones in the morning because I don't have the time to supervise.

Or you can leave their meal in the fridge overnight to thaw and it'll be ready by morning. For me, it's less complicated than opening up a can with a can opener and then putting it in a bowl and microwaving it. This way you can just throw the bag in warm water, go get ready, come back and place it in their bowls.
I will have to start working on getting up earlier. I usually take 2 or 3 days out of the freezer for my dogs, I keep in the bottom drawer and that usually takes 1-2 days to defrost, can I do the same with the kitties?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy View Post
I move my foods from the freezer to the fridge every morning and give them 24 hours to thaw, but the additional time is probably because my meals contain enough food for six cats - rather than one or two - and so take longer to defrost.

As for breakfast, one of my goals from the start was to ensure my cats' breakfast was easy enough for my hectic mornings. *eye roll*

Three times a week, they get hearts for breakfast, and you can't get any easier than that. Twice a week, they get chunks of beef and twice a week, they get chunks of pork; both the beef and pork are cut into chunks before they're frozen, so I just take the food out of the fridge and drop it onto their plates.

Good luck with your transition!

AC
Sounds pretty easy. I already separate out my dogs food, so that would make things a lot easier. I am probably WAY overthinking it, just don't want to be giving them a boney meal and have to wait for them to finish it. I only work 'that' early 3 days a week, then have 2 days I'm off and 2 days I work later so have more time in the morning. I am NOT a morning person though. But my cats are usually pretty quick eaters.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Tom Cat

If you don't have that many cats then honestly it's not that hard. Like if you have two cats and each cat eats like 2 ounces of meat per meal then you can put 4 ounces worth of whatever muscle meat you want to feed in the morning right after you wake up in the ziploc bag. Then you can just make a whole bunch of those packets intended for breakfast. Thawing 4 ounces of meat is so easy, you don't even have to put in the fridge 24 hours before or overnight. it'll seriously thaw within minutes if you put it the ziploc bag in warm water. And when you're heading out the door, all you do is place the food on their plates. It literally takes a minute.

I am not a morning person either But if you pre-package the cat's meals in advance then all you'll really be doing is just thawing and dropping it into their plates. it's simple
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 06:18 AM
Tom Cat

You also can feed thawed packages straight from the refrigerator. Place a few in the fridge and feed/replace as you go.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
You also can feed thawed packages straight from the refrigerator. Place a few in the fridge and feed/replace as you go.
Yeah that. I never "warm" my cats' food, just defrost in the fridge, scoop out of the bag and drop on the plates.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Banned

I also never feed the cats immediately after I wake, since I have zero desire to have them associate my rising with food and then waking me at all sorts of inappropriate hours.

Instead, they get fed right after I shower and dress. After three plus years of this, I wouldn't be surprised if my cats start drooling whenever they hear the shower now. *chuckle*
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Tom Cat

You can thaw them in the fridge if you want but my cats personally don't like cold meat. They never eat it. They'll only eat it at room temperature and I think they enjoy it more too. That's why I like putting it in warm water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page