Concerned about Taurine - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to carnivorouszoo
Concerned about Taurine

I recently read a post where a person said their vet had said that due to the canning procedure canned cat foods are low in taurine. I can not find info if this is true or not, but was wondering if it would hurt to puree some mice to mix into Silver's canned food? I would start with small amounts of course. He won't eat mice whole just yet. No worries about supply either as I raise my own for my snakes. In the future I will also have rabbit as I have meat rabbits with a litter due soon. Not sure I could go full raw, but with canned food would half and half at some point be ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Jr. Cat

Not sure about Taurine but when I compare the canned Go! that we get and the kibble there is indeed significantly less taurine in the canned version (.2 vs. .05%) but I'm sure that's actually due to the water content in canned food, not because there is actually less taurine in it.

During the transition period to raw with our Cat we've been doing part canned, part raw, mixed together. As far as I know this is okay (unlike dogs who cannot eat kibble mixed with raw. Maybe it's just kibble that shouldn't be mixed with raw?). Please please correct me if I'm wrong since I'm still a raw newbie but the websites I used recommended integrating raw into the wet food.

I would think you could definitely add some rabbit/chicken heart to the wet food for added taurine since that is the meat richest in taurine.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Senior Cat

Heart meat is high in taurine, as well as the darker meats like chicken thighs. Rabbit, itself, however is one of the meat items pretty low in taurine compared to those. I guess maybe their hearts have more, but I'd stick with chicken/pork/beef hearts.

You can also buy taurine in the human health food section at many stores and just add a capsule every other day or so. They pee out any excess taurine without causing issues, so even if you give a little too much they would be fine.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Cat Addict

I feed my cats a hybrid of canned and raw. Basically, canned for the morning meal and raw for the evening meal. I try to use as much variety in the protein as possible to ensure they get everything they need.

I am not transitioning into fully raw. I like feeding them this way and they are perfectly healthy and happy; their coats are fabulous and the energy level is really high. My overweight cat has also managed to trim down to a good weight and has been able to maintain it.

I would just make sure you vary the protein as much as you can, not rabbit only.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 03:46 AM
Cat Addict

So just went through this, I can actually help. My cat has a heart condition that is typically caused by low taurine, he eats a 100% canned diet. We tested his taurine levels and they are well within the normal range. Because I was scared, I tested Sully too, his came back normal as well. I've been doing canned only for four years now and have not had any issues. BUT, it will not hurt to supplement Taurine anyway, even if they are not low. Easiest way would be to just purchase a taurine supplement powder to mix with the canned food.

Though, that may be because I just can't really stomach the idea of purree' ing mice! Blerugh! But I bet your cats would like it!

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page