Raw feeding problems - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Raw feeding problems

I've been feeding my 12 year old cat raw for about 2-3 months. She is shedding like crazy, itching, and her poops are kinda half solid half soft/liquid. I'm going to give the menu that I feed her and I'd love for feedback on what I'm doing wrong.

Background info-
she was about 6 pounds but I think her ideal weight is 8 pounds so that's what I based the calculations on.
she's 12 years old and has been on dry food all her life before the switch
I'm giving her 200mg capsule of salmon oil squeezed out onto her dinner meal every day
I feed her twice a day (would like to do more but it's what my schedule allows right now). 7pm and 7am
all bones that I feed her come from cornish game hens

Weekly Menu-
Monday- .9oz bone, 3oz beef
Tuesday- 2oz pork, 1.5 oz chicken thigh, .5oz liver
Wednesday- .9oz bone, .5oz kidney, 2.5oz turkey
Thursday- 2oz chicken gizzards, .5oz liver, 1.5oz chicken heart
Friday- .9oz bone, 2oz beef, .5oz kidney, .5oz chicken heart
Saturday- 3oz cornish game hen, .33 oz liver, .66oz chicken heart
Sunday- .33oz kidney, 3oz chicken gizzards, .66oz chicken heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Senior Cat

Hey there!

Sorry to hear your baby is having problems. Hopefully my information will help sort things out.

She's relatively new to raw, how long did you wait before adding in each new protein? Did you do a slow transition?

I would stop doing the fish oils daily, and make it once a week until her stools have normalized.

I would also feed her boney meals at the same time as her organ meals.

Make sure none of your meat is enhanced (added sodium).

Until her stool is normalized, I would add in a bit more bone. You can back off slowly.

If she is 6lbs, and you "think" her ideal weight is 8lbs (but don't know for sure) you could be over feeding her. It's uncommon, but not impossible to have a tiny framed female cat. Also, as cats get older they tend to need less (our 15 year old eats much less than the others).

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I made sure that she didn't have any bad reactions to any of the meats. The only times that she vomited after eating was when I hadn't defrosted the meat enough.

I've been giving her the fish oil so often because after I started only feeding her raw meat on of her ears started to stink and look gunky. I found information online that said that some dogs can get chronic ear infections from not having enough omega 3s in their diet. So I started giving her the salmon oil and the ear stink and gunk went away.
Should I still cut it down to once a week?

I'll definitely try and give her the organs at the same time as the bone. Thanks for the advice!

How can I tell if it's sodium enhanced? Will it say on the package?

Okay, I'll redo the calculations for 7 pounds then. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Senior Cat

I would still cut down the fish oils for now. If her ears get gunky again you can start adding it in twice a week, or three times. Our cats/dogs get it once a week and they don't have gunky ears.

For sodium I think I read that any more than 100mg per serving is too much, and it should say on the packaging.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Premier Cat

Was the itching and shedding, to the extent it is at now, going on prior to starting the raw, or only since starting the raw?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Only since starting the raw.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Premier Cat

I'm wondering if it's food allergy related. One of the reasons I switched to raw, was due to some major itching, shedding, and biting at the paws my kitties were doing. The coat on my long haired kitty became flat, and greasy looking. My kitties issues, as I discovered, was due to chicken allergy. Without going into all the long gory story details, before I realized it was chicken allergies, I was thinking it was just a canned food issue. I did try feeding a whole muscle chicken based feed to them. The whole chicken actually made the shedding and itching much worse for them. Once I switched them to a rabbit raw protein, the itching and shedding really started to go away. They are doing much better on the rabbit.

Luckily for me, I figured out right away it was the chicken, but in my research, there are other proteins cats can be allergic to. Also in researching, vets will usually recommend to switch to a single protein feed in order to identify the source of the allergy.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Senior Cat

Allergies could be what are causing the itchy-shedding. It's also possible she is still detoxing (although I haven't heard of a cat taking that long to detox - our 15 year old took a year, but I thought he was weird- it took a year for him to fully stop being extra itchy and shedding his old, gross, coarse hair out).

It wouldn't hurt to stick to no-chicken for a while. You could just use quail for the bones.

Kelly

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I don't have a local source for quail and ordering online would cost an arm and a leg. I also haven't been able to find any heart other than chicken.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrs199 View Post
I've been feeding my 12 year old cat raw for about 2-3 months. She is shedding like crazy, itching, and her poops are kinda half solid half soft/liquid. I'm going to give the menu that I feed her and I'd love for feedback on what I'm doing wrong.

Background info-
she was about 6 pounds but I think her ideal weight is 8 pounds so that's what I based the calculations on.
she's 12 years old and has been on dry food all her life before the switch
I'm giving her 200mg capsule of salmon oil squeezed out onto her dinner meal every day
I feed her twice a day (would like to do more but it's what my schedule allows right now). 7pm and 7am
all bones that I feed her come from cornish game hens

Weekly Menu-
Monday- .9oz bone, 3oz beef
Tuesday- 2oz pork, 1.5 oz chicken thigh, .5oz liver
Wednesday- .9oz bone, .5oz kidney, 2.5oz turkey
Thursday- 2oz chicken gizzards, .5oz liver, 1.5oz chicken heart
Friday- .9oz bone, 2oz beef, .5oz kidney, .5oz chicken heart
Saturday- 3oz cornish game hen, .33 oz liver, .66oz chicken heart
Sunday- .33oz kidney, 3oz chicken gizzards, .66oz chicken heart
I think you are over feeding the cat. For example, Tuesday you fed the cat 4 ounces of food.

I have a 20 pound dog that gets 8 ounces of food a day and you have this cat eating 4 ounces....seems a little too much for an 8 lb (ideal weight) cat.

Also, more bone, less oil. And you seem to be feeding a lot of organs...those are very rich meats. Maybe cut that down a bit to help the poos.

Also, if there is a food allergy, you're going to have to narrow it down by feeding one thing at a time.

Last edited by SerenityFL; 11-04-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: blasted typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page