A whole turkey thigh bone? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Cat

A whole turkey thigh bone?

Is this OK? I fed him a meaty turkey bone last night and figured I'd see the remains of the bone in the bathtub when he was done tearing the meat off it, but I can't find it this morning. I think he ate the whole business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Jr. Cat

I would not feed my kitties things with bones. The general opinion I heard years ago was no for all poultry bones.

I did a little web research, and a lot of comments, and as far as I can tell with comments more from a vet's perspective (i.e. pets, webmd for one), the answer is no, either raw or cooked. Why? Danger of the bone splintering, and better things to feed them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat

My guess is that you're new to this section. This is the raw feeding section and many veteran raw cat feeders here feed raw bones with great success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Senior Cat

I wouldn't worry about it - mine eat things like turkey necks and turkey drumsticks (if they are smaller ones) with no problem. The only reason that they haven't gotten turkey thigh is that I can't find any stores here that have them for cheap enough. They like a challenge, and it sounds like your cat does too
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for replying. I think Luke would consume a whole turkey if I gave him the chance. He just finished off 2/3 of a whole chicken thigh and ate all the bone. If so many of your cats can do it, I guess mine can too.

I don't use percentages & scales like some raw feeders, I just vary their diet the best I can, and it seems to be working out good.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Update :

Cubby ate 2/3 of a chicken thigh with bone this afternoon. Bravo! I put them in the bath tub one at a time and let them do their thing with it. At first he sniffed it and waled away, as he often does, so I closed him in there for a while and when I opened the door he was on the vanity and there was no remains of that thigh. He seemed a little lazy afterward though.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Update : He didn't eat that whole turkey bone after all. I found it this morning. Cubby must have moved it. They're eating chicken thigh bones and will get more raw chicken bones soon.

Bigger chunks, and with bones, satisfy their hunger better and no vomiting yet.
This is a good idea.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

You mentioned you don't bother with percentages and that your cats are doing just fine with that, but I think you may be setting yourself up for trouble later on.

If you're feeding bone with every meal, or even a lot of bone every day, you're cats are likely to get constipated, if they aren't already.

If you're not offering a variety of meat products and organs, including liver, your cats are likely low on some essential nutrients.

It's generally known that taurine deficiency will kill. So will thiamine and potassium deficiencies. Do you know which foods contain these essential nutrients? Vitamin A deficiency causes multiple issues, including skin infections and blindness; the proper proportion of liver in a raw-fed cats' diet prevents this, but too much can lead to Vitamin A toxicity. If you have no idea how much of what you're feeding, how do you know your cats are ok?

I would suggest, if I may, one of two things for you - either start feeding your cats whole prey (and it sure does sound like they could handle just about anything!), or weigh your cats and do the calculations JUST ONCE so you have a least a rough idea how much of what parts you should be feeding on a weekly basis. I have a spreadsheet that will calculate everything for you after you put the weight in - I would be happy to send it to you. Or, if you like, post your cat's weight and I'll run and then post the calculations for you.

I wouldn't feed a child haphazardly, and a cat's biology is much more specialized and sensitive than ours.

Not trying to be argumentative or scary, just reaching out as one loving pet parent to another.

Best regards.

AC
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat

OK thanks. I'll weigh them soon and post their weights.

Quote:
If you're feeding bone with every meal, or even a lot of bone every day, you're cats are likely to get constipated, if they aren't already.
I feed them bones every 3rd day or so. They each ate a chicken thigh with bone today. they aren't constipated. Too much raw egg at one time gives Cubby diarrhea within a couple hours or so.

Quote:
It's generally known that taurine deficiency will kill. So will thiamine and potassium deficiencies. Do you know which foods contain these essential nutrients?
They get chicken thigh often, turkey thigh, turkey heart, other chicken, chicken liver [cooked] whole Cornish Hen with bones, Pork, wild salmon, and raw free range eggs.

All raw meats [and most any unprocessed whole food] contains potassium, and probably egg does too, with sodium. Thiamine I'm quite sure is in meats and organs, and probably eggs to some degree. I have a book that tells nutrient levels of most whole foods.

Quote:
If you have no idea how much of what you're feeding, how do you know your cats are ok?
I have an idea, but I haven't used a scale yet. They seem as healthy as they've ever been. Did you see my "A Picture of Health" photo of Cubby in the Meet My Kitty section? They both have a lot of appetite, shiny coats, good looking pink gums, and white teeth. I sure seem to be doing quite a good guess at their diets. I'm very fussy about my own diet, and I don't forget to rotate my cats' foods. I have doubts that I could afford to feed whole prey. I better try to work it out with the foods I already have and feed them.

CR
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Cat

To Auntie Crazy,

My cats' weights are :

Luke : 12 lb. 10 oz.
Cubby : 8 lbs. 11 oz.

Cubby ate a piece of raw chicken liver the other day but has seemed a little hesitant to eat lately for some reason. He didn't eat a piece of liver in his room last night. I may cook some more of it and I do think he'll eat that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page