Raw made her puke! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Raw made her puke!

Things were backwards at dinner tonight. Sidonie is usually my little kitty garbage disposal, she eats anything I give her and never pukes. Sabrina is the picky one, and new things sometimes make her vomit. I tried the girls on raw for the first time tonight (Nature's Variety Chicken, one medallion each mixed with Prowl), and for once, Sabrina gobbled hers up and didn't puke, but Sidonie nibbled at hers and promptly threw it up without finishing it.

So now how do I proceed with her? Should I try again with a smaller amount of raw? I was thinking of mixing the Nature's Variety tomorrow with some Weruva Paw-Lickin' Chicken, so that it's mixed with something her stomach is more used to. But is it bad to mix raw and cooked? Maybe I should just try to buy some whole chicken and cut it up before giving it to her; I've heard that some cats are more likely to vomit with ground raw than with whole raw.

I do plan to get them both on frankenprey raw then eventually whole prey raw. Using the Nature's Variety medallions seemed like a good transition from wet food to raw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Nobody has any suggestions?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
I think you should mix in a small quantity of the new stuff with stuff she is already used to. Then, over the period of several days to 2 weeks, slowly increase the amount of new food ratio to old food.

This is how most vets recommend starting a new food.

I don't know if you should try the whole raw chicken if the other stuff made her throw up. I give my cats a treat of raw chicken every once in a while, and once my Nito threw it up... it was not a pretty sight, I was very grossed out when cleaning it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Cat Addict

It's possible that quantity might have caused a problem - cats' stomachs are actually pretty small - and about a 'mouse sized' portion is what works best. Canned food doesn't have the same bulk as raw.

I'd go with everyone's advice here and try again with a smaller portion, take this process nice and slow...

Fran
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Currently she's eating a smaller amount mixed in with the Paw-Lickin' Chicken, doesn't seem to notice that it's there so far. Hopefully this time works out better...

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Well, both finished their dinner tonight without any problems! One medallion each, mushed up and mixed into some Prowl. Hopefully I'll be able to gradually decrease the amount of Prowl during their meals.

Another question: is it a bad thing to give two kinds of meat in one meal? So far I've just been mixing the Nature's Variety chicken medallions with other chicken foods. I don't want them missing out on other kinds of meat during the transition. Would it be ok to mix a chicken medallion with beef, venison, lamb, etc?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Senior Cat

I don't see a problem with it.

Mine get mixed protein meals all the time; an example is turkey and lamb kidney, or chicken necks and beef liver. For the 4M's they can get three (or more) kinds of meat a day.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks! I just looked at the ingredients of the raw medallions and turns out it's chicken AND turkey. Their meat is already mixed anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page