Question about allergies. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Question about allergies.

Ok, so just a brief history reminder, since most of you know my story. Kitties have allergies to chicken, so I started to feed whole raw rabbit meat, and things got so much better! I had a major problem with #1 rabbit meat supplier, so for about 6 weeks or so I guess, they had to go back on Nature's Variety Raw Rabbit, which has eggs in it, and it makes them itch.

I found rabbit meat supplier #2, and started them on it again about 2 1/2 weeks ago, maybe 3......not sure. I mixed 1/2 lb of beef in with the rabbit portion, and suppliments. They started to get worse, much worse, and the itching and shedding intensified, long haired kitties hair looked flattened. Coats felt GROSS! It was looking similar to before we found out we had an allergy problem.

So thankfully, I had only made 2 small batches with the beef, and it was nearly gone. Last saturday I mixed up 2 more batches (with supplements added) without the beef in, and started to add a natural fish oil made for pets. I was expecting them to improve as the days went by, and at first they did seem to be, but now they are itching more again, shaking the heads, and shedding........good grief are they shedding!

I don't remember what happened exactly the first time I put them on whole raw rabbit meat, but I don't recall them getting worse, and the symptoms intensifying. I more remember the feeling of relief because they were getting better.

Could different types of rabbit make a difference? Or is this normal, getting rid of whatever makes them itch, from their systems?

I'm getting that frustrated feeling back again, and I'm NOT happy about it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Senior Cat

Would it make a differance with what the animal was fed? Do you know what the rabbits (from both suppliers) are fed?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

No I don't know what they would have been fed.

I have another question..........I wonder if this would make a difference. I had two websites saved with a recipe, and for some reason, I didn't pull up the same one I did before. The first time I made the rabbit, when they did get better, I used 4.5 lbs of rabbit, and for some reason I used the other recipe that calls for 3 lbs. Same amount of supplements were used for both recipes.

How much of a difference would that make??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Cat

I don't know that the amount would make a difference. I do think that what the rabbits were/are fed can make a difference. Do you know anything at all about what they ate? Are they organic or not organic etc.....?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Coming back to this with a small update.

I was thinking that it was maybe that my minerals were off, but after thinking about it, nothing changed from when I started with the RAW rabbit the first time. When I started them on that first batch of meat, they did awesome, and looked awesome. Now, even on this batch of rabbit RAW from the new supplier, we're still itching, and biting feet. I'm really thinking it has something to do with the rabbit meat itself, and what he must be feeding, like was mentioned earlier.

I ordered some ground rabbit with bones today from Hare Today, so we will see what happens with this batch. Holy moly, talk about expensive after shipping! It comes out to over $6 a lb, and that's the cheap shipping!!!!!!!!! Dave would kill me if he knew what I spent on it today!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Premier Cat

Lord Geri I cant beleive the journey your on to solve this. My heart goes out to you. I hope I never have to deal with a food allergy in my cats.

One of my friends whose cat had IBD and another with allergies realized she had tried over 50 different brands of food trying to solve her cats problems. It was crazy. She was devoted as you to solving the mystery of what would work and what wouldnt. I never ever want to face that.

There is such a big movement to support local organic farmers, maybe there is one in your area that organic feeds their rabbits so you could control what is fed to your cats???? Might be worth a try to network to see who is out there in your area. And save on shipping so Dave wouldnt know..
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Geri...I have to admit that I haven't followed this saga closely so you may have already addressed the things I'm about to say. But it seems weird to me that 2(or is it more?) cats have the same identical allergic reactions at the same time. That's just too much of a coincidence for me and makes me think it's not a food allergy. Unless....are they siblings? I could see siblings having similar allergic reactions, although I still don't see it it being likely that the response would pop up at the same exact time.

Not sure what to suggest other than a vague "something in the environment", but I'd recommending exploring possibilities beyond food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
But it seems weird to me that 2(or is it more?) cats have the same identical allergic reactions at the same time. That's just too much of a coincidence for me and makes me think it's not a food allergy. Unless....are they siblings? I could see siblings having similar allergic reactions, although I still don't see it it being likely that the response would pop up at the same exact time.

Not sure what to suggest other than a vague "something in the environment", but I'd recommending exploring possibilities beyond food.

I'm curious about this too. My other question regarding the food would be if you've been using the same supplements this whole time? It could be that whatever you are mixing into the food is causing the reaction versus the meat?

Lastly, if you've explored all the other options, I would ask whether you are feeding your cats the same food at every meal? I know people and/or animals are known to develop allergies to a food if they eat it too often. I don't know what the magic amount of time is to become allergic to a food though.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thank you Merry, I appreciate the good thoughts. My husband is actually ready to start raising our own rabbits pretty soon, if I can't get this figured out, and honestly, I'm not at all opposed to this, simply because I would know every detail that went into the food.

Doodlebug. Believe me, I asked all these questions to the vet at UW Madison Vet Clinic, and yes, all the cats can have the same allergies at the same time. One of the things that severly effected this, is that because no one could help us, or knew what it was, they were on ivermectin for soooo long when the thought was parasites. The last vet I saw said in no way is this parasites, simply because of their lack of effect on their coats......ie: hair loss, and negative multiple skin scrapes. They shed terrible, but no real patches where loss has occured. They've also ruled out bacterial. But because they were on ivermectin for so long, it severly effected their immune system, which in turn can cause stress, and cause allergies because of the depleted immune system.

We have had our carpets cleaned, our air ducts cleaned, both professionally. I use all perfume free/dye free soaps on my clothes, all blankets, and in the shower. Their dishes are cleaned every time I feed. I scrub the floors at least once a week, again, very non-harmful chemical cleaner. I vaccum at least 3 times a week, and all of this was being done before, during, and after the initial improvements on the first batch of raw rabbit. Believe me, I've been down this road. The only time we saw ANY relief, was when they went on the raw rabbit meat from the very first supplier. They were doing phenominal up until that ran out, and then the quality I got from them just went down the s**t hole, and I had to cut ties with them. I had to put them back on Natures Variety Rabbit for about a month, and they itch on that also, because there is like 3 different types of bird eggs in there, one being chicken. Then I started the new supplier, and it got slightly better, but not much, and I realized that the added beef I put in didn't agree with them either. Next batch I made, I left out the beef, and they did better, but they are still itching. With the rabbit from the first supplier, it was within 1 1/2 weeks of starting it that Lucy, who I use to pretty much tell me how things are going, was shedding less, much less itching, and she was starting to get really full and fluffy again. You could just tell it was working, and progressively getting better up until I ran out of that.

Oh, also, all of my supplements are the same from first batch of rabbit except one, my fish oil, and I'm doing a test right now to see if that could be a possibility. I took one of them completely off of it. After speaking with a natural food professional, she said that the way some of these companies process this stuff, is just horrible, especially the one I had bought. I went the cheap route, rather than buying the expensive good stuff. Otherwise nothing has changed. Honestly, I don't think this is what it is though.

The next step would be to actually do the allergy testing at UW Madison, but they are 4 hours away from us, and to do the testing is a minimum of $2,000, on top of the over $2,000 I've already spent. I never went through with it for 2 reasons, one being, Dave said NO, and at that time is when the first batch of raw rabbit was progressively making things better.

I'm not ready to give up on the food allergy thing yet, it's the only thing that made any positive changes for them. If worse comes to worse, I am going to go back to the first supplier, and I will go there myself, and stand side by side with that old man as he processes my order, to make sure it's done right!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Stupid edit restrictions!

I ordered enough rabbit from Hare Today to make 2 batches, which will last me about 2 1/2 weeks, and it will be interesting to see what happens on that meat. If I see good changes, then I will know there is something wrong with the meat from supplier #2. We shall see......it should be here friday, as they are not shipping it until wednesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page