Refusing to eat bone - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Refusing to eat bone

Oscar is refusing to eat his chicken wings with the bone which he did like to eat earlier this month. He just looks at the wing, licks it and then looks offended. We've been leaving it down for him numerous times per day and then eventually feed it to the dog and go on to his next meal, usually muscle meat, which he eats happily (beef, pork or chicken). I think I got myself a picky kitty! So today after not eating his bones for 3 days he's got diarrhea, the first time in 4 years! I'm going to smash up his next wing and hope he eats the whole wing.

If he does not, and does not do so now, how should I supplement? I know you can buy bone meal but I also heard if you're supplementing with that you also have to give a range of other supplements. I have some canned GO left. I could mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 01:48 AM
Senior Cat

Could you try smaller bones? It took most of mine a full year on raw before they would eat chicken wings.

Chicken ribs are nice and easy for cats to eat as well as most of the bones in a cornish game hen. Too bad you can't come to the USA and take some meat back over the border; bone-in chicken breast is $0.88 a lb this weekend at one of the grocery stores in Bellingham, WA Your profile says your from Vancouver...thats not far away from here!

Just because I am bored, I checked what the laws are for taking food back into Canada, there is a rule of 44 lbs of meat total. 22 lbs can be chicken, 11 lbs can be from cattle, bison, sheep, or goat, and up to 22 lbs of turkey products.

But at least for dairy products the rule is $20 of dairy products for each person in the vehicle (at least I think that's how it works)...wonder if it works that way for meat as well?

Of course, if you were to actually come down to the US to get meat, you may want to make sure that those are the current rules
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Cat

Same there, expect my Cheetah rarely eats bones. He won't even touch whole wing, even wing tip. I prepare their meal in a different way. I cut meat in 1 inch pieces, including the wings. I cut wing tips in 3 pieces, mid wing in 6 pieces (length wise in half, then 3 pieces each half). So the wing pieces are almost the size of the meat. So Cheetah will eat it, but still, he will leave the last couple pieces of wings sometimes.

I know it is more work, but that works for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Cat

My guys refuse chicken wings. They prefer quail! Maybe it's time to really start searching for a good supplier/asian market/ethnic grocery! Chicken NECKS are also an okay thing here, just not the wings. Picky!

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobe View Post
... I cut wing tips in 3 pieces, mid wing in 6 pieces (length wise in half, then 3 pieces each half). ...
My cats get three bone-meals per week, one each of chicken ribs, chicken wings and rabbit ribs & small bones.

All of my cats eat the ribs and bones with no issues, and four of them happily chow down on the wings. However, I have to prepare wings for two of my girls exactly the same way Koobe feeds her wings.

Before I reached for some type of supplement, I'd try offering smaller bone-in pieces or softer bones, like quail.

Good luck!

AC
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_hubert View Post
If he does not, and does not do so now, how should I supplement? I know you can buy bone meal but I also heard if you're supplementing with that you also have to give a range of other supplements. I have some canned GO left. I could mix.
Talking about supplements, I bought Solid Gold bone meal before. My cats absolutely hated it. Will not touch the food with it.

I talked to someone on another site, and he suggested 2 brands:
1) Wild Trax Feline Supply
I asked for a sample, it is a mix of supplements designed to add to raw meat and completes the meal. My cats accepts it when they are hungry, and if the food is warm.
But since I have all the organs, I just need a calcium only supplement. So I did not make an official order.

2) Apperon primal-CAL
That is a calcium powder, and do not have the bone meal smell.
It is expensive and there was shipping. I asked for a sample and they won't give me.
The instruction said put 1 scoop (about 1 tablespoon) for a 10 lbs kitty per day. Considering the oz of meat my kitty should it, the 1/2 scoop her meal makes the food really sticky, like meat covered in powder, ready to go to the fryer. Anyway, my cats did not like it.
But now, I usually make 10 lbs of food at one time. I will still put 6-8 scoops in the batch, so that is not noticable to my cats. I do it because Cheetah sometimes will leave the last couple pieces of chicken wings, so I need a back up.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzby View Post
My guys refuse chicken wings. They prefer quail! Maybe it's time to really start searching for a good supplier/asian market/ethnic grocery! Chicken NECKS are also an okay thing here, just not the wings. Picky!
I've never seen quail here. Will need to do some research. My city, Richmond, BC is predominantly east Asian (about 60-70% of the population!). The grocery store down the street is Filipino and that is where we usually get our meats but they don't have anything out of the ordinary, just cheap. My husband is planning to scope out meats in Vancouver's Chinatown today, that is where he works as a police officer. Would never have thought to shop there for myself because food is really sketch but I betcha he'll find at least strange organ meats...for cheap!

Also, was wondering if we can do a lot of fish bones instead? I have heard in various places to keep fish to a minimum.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

BTW, tried choped up chicken ribs today and he ate them!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_hubert View Post
BTW, tried choped up chicken ribs today and he ate them!
Whoot, whoot!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Cat

That is great news!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page