Changing from Dry Cat Food, to Home-made Raw Food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Changing from Dry Cat Food, to Home-made Raw Food

I'm just wondering the best way to approach this. I have already done a lot of research on this, and just wanted some additional information. I know about all of the health benefits, but my concern is that I'm in a country where some of the ingredients are not available, what is absolutely necessary when making this change? And what should I avoid?
Here is what I have so far....short version

Tips:
One that is grain-free/little to no grains and contains real meat, bone (or another good calcium source), and organs.
Keep chunks as big as cat will eat; grind to make sure cat is eating bone.
Quickgrass (Agropyron repens) can be used to treats UTI's
Food should be at least half meat/eggs/diary and half grains and veggies(25 for both)

FOODS TO AVOID!!!!!
Onion
Garlic
Green Tomatoes
Chocolate
Grapes/Raisins
Mushrooms
Peppermint
Cinnamon
Thyme
Ginger
Licorice
Cayenne
Lavender
Parsnip
Rhubarb
Taro
Tomatoes/Tomatoes paste
Raw Potatoes
Nutmeg

FOODS To USE!!!!!
Liver
Heart
Brains
Eyeballs
Kidneys
Muscle
Neck
Nettle (Urtica species)
Beef/Chicken/Pork/Sausage/Tuna/Fish
Eggs
Milk**/Cheese
Vegetables(What are some good veggies to use)
**heard milk is not good, and to use soy, but others say its fine....consensus?

Supplies:
Grinder
Psyllium*
Salmon Oil
Meats(liver,heart,meat,gizards ect)
Glandular Supplement*
Salt Sub.
Vitamin E and B
Calcium Supplement
Small Ziplock baggies
*What are these? and if they are not available what can I substitute them for?

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Senior Cat

I don't see any reason at all to feed veggies; cats are obligate carnivores. When is the last time you saw a cat raiding someones garden and eating some veggies? Every time I have seen a cat in a grain field it was there to hunt the mice/rodents in the field, not to chow down on some of the grain itself.

All that you need, in terms of food, is a good supply of raw meat, bones, and organs. You need roughly 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ (kidney, pancreas, thymus, reproductive organs, and brain all work).

No need, IMO, for a grinder. It is better for a cat to eat chunks of food.

Also no need for all those supplements. Salmon oil I understand if you can't get grass/pasture raised meat. But the rest you don't need.

I'm sure others can help you with more of the specifics, but I should get going I'll leave you with this article Nature's Prey Model which explains how more things about feeding a properly balanced raw diet.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Hi, Lizbeezo! Welcome to naturally feeding your kitties!

The only items you truly need are animal parts. No nettles, milk, or cheese, and none of that other stuff.

Frankenprey is healthier and easier to feed than a ground mix so, like FF, that's what I would recommend.

See here and here for feeding help, and here and here for transition help.

Let us know if you have specific questions!

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ok so far so good. This morning was making some dinner for myself and the husband, and decided to cut off a chunk of pork(slow roasting) to see if he would eat it. He LOVED it!!! After he kept looking at me like more please......later I wanted to see what else he would eat, we didnt have anything else defrosted so I just gave him an egg, cracked, but with small pieces in, and he ate it all!
He is still eating commerical food, but I am giving him less and less(he only gets a small amount at certain times). I dont know if he will eat just meat quite yet, I think he thinks of it as treats(which is good), but not a whole meal. I'm taking this slow as he has been sick and dont want to further upset his belly. But so far so good
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Cat

Congratulations on switching over.

I agree that there is no reason to feed veggies or dairy. Just meat, bones and organ. But, you must do what you feel is right as this is your pet.

I feed a lot of chicken, (Cornish game hens), or, barring the small hens, I give wings and drumsticks and necks for them to chew on.

Eggs are good as well.

They also like to chew on pork ribs...believe it or not.

For the meat, I give them skinless/boneless chicken breast and meat I can cut from the thighs. I give them pork. I give them small amounts of fish, (sardines or herring in spring water, only), I give them turkey, (they don't seem to like that too much), and I give them beef.

Organs I give gizzards, livers, hearts, kidney from chicken, mainly, some from beef. I haven't been able to find much in the pork department regarding organs.

When I defrost the turkeys for their Thanksgiving dinner, I'll give the cats the "goodies" bag and see if they enjoy the turkey organs.

I will cut up their food in to bite size pieces but sometimes I'll cut the chunks a bit bigger to make them chew it, work at it. So far, all of them have been doing well, even the older cat. She took some time...I did have to grind her food for awhile but now she's eating chunks. I'm going to work up to giving her bigger chunks from time to time to help build those jaw muscles.

Best of luck and hopefully soon, you'll be feeding totally raw!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Senior Cat

Heart and gizzards are considered as the meat portion in raw feeding; they aren't considered organs.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityFL View Post
C....Organs I give gizzards, livers, hearts, kidney from chicken, mainly, some from beef. I haven't been able to find much in the pork department regarding organs....
Hi, Serenity!

Just an FYI, for raw feeding purposes, both gizzard and heart products are considered muscle meat, not organs.

(Wow, ff, you're fast!!)

Last edited by Auntie Crazy; 11-15-2010 at 07:47 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Cat

HAHA! I'm going to get that right one day!

When it comes to feeding, I remember this. But when I write it out, I always, always, always call the dang things organs. Sigh.

Yes, heart and gizzards are meat...not counted as organs. Do as I do, not as I say! (that is a "parent" joke...I could be the only who thinks that's funny....)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ok I will remember that.
Now I see a lot about chicken/pork hearts;livers ect, what about beef? I'm living in Argentina and it is plentiful and cheap. The local butcher even has a side bag of "dog food" as they call it. Would this be fine for Mico as well? Obviously I would cut it up, so its portion controlled. What kind of meats are fine, I can get kidney, brain, stomach, intestines, pigs feet/snout, eyeballs, liver, and heart; mostly beef, the intestines I think is pork.
For chicken the butcher will take out the bag of organs from the whole chicken for those who want it, but other than that I dont think I will be able to get much, and it will cost more. Also there is little turkey, duck is expensive(I don't even eat it), as it goat, cornish hens, ect. We basically have beef and lots of it.
I guess the good things, is that all the meat is free range, so I dont have to worry about that so much.
Another question, how do I get a stubborn husband to change his mind on this. He is fine with me giving him pieces of raw food here and there as treats, but every time I bring up the changing his diet over, he tells me, "its just a cat, not a person". He grew up with the mindset of its an animal, not a person, they should be treated as one blah blah. I've showed him the pages, and told him the benefits/price reductions, but he doesnt agree with it, which is fine I get where his point of view is coming from. Just wondering, if anyone had the same problem.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Oh what about canned fish like sardines, herring ect? We do have a fish market; china town is near and they have some pretty good seafood. Its expensive, and I dont think they have small fish, so much as larger fish; ie salmon, sword fish, river fish(local)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page