Where do you all get your mice? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Where do you all get your mice?

I'm finally mentally ready to do the feeder mice thing and I think it'll be a good way to get some bone into my kitties since two of the three won't eat whole bones yet. Here's my dilemma.....SHIPPING! It's +/- $40 everywhere I've checked! (I do plan to grab a few frozen mice from the pet store before I place an order to make sure they'll eat them.) It seems like I'd have to order bags and bags and bags of mice to make the shipping worth it! Is that what everyone does or is there some cost effective alternative?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I found two sites that ship orders over $100 free to my area. If anybody knows of anything else worth checking out please let me know!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Cat

This might be totally ignorant of me not knowing anything about raw feeding, but I thought local pet stores had feeder mice and rats? Could you also breed them to save money if you got a few?

Nom de bloom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Pet stores are wayyyy more expensive per mouse/rat than an online supply place. The catch is that I have to buy in bulk.

I kept pet rats for years (and still have two fosters!) so feeding rat is totally out of the question for me. I love those critters and my first rat in my adult life (I had one as a kid also) Lemmiwinks was my HEART Even mice, I could never kill one to feed to my cats. They're too darn sweet and adorable. I think I may be able to detach myself just enough if they're already dead and frozen. If I got them live they'd all end up as beloved pets LOL. I don't think I could do whole rabbit with the dogs, either. Same reason.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to squeekers
I have had pet rats, mice and rabbits before. I have no issues feeding them. But thats just me. I will not cull them myself tho. I have to have them pre killed when they come to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page