Rad Cats raw diet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Rad Cats raw diet

I have been feeding 75% homemade raw and 25% commercial raw.
The commercial raw I feed is Rad Cats chicken or turkey.

The cats usually eat more if I give them Rad Cats, because it is grounded and easy to lick (lazy dudes).

Panther is 11.5 lbs, so he should eat about 5.5 oz (3% of his weight).
Cheetah is 9 lbs, so about 4.5 oz.
Mui Mui is a kitten, and is 3 lbs, I just give as much as she can eat, but about 4-5 oz of Rad Cats.

So on Rad Cats instruction, it said feed 3-4 oz twice a day for a 8 lbs cat. So it will be approximately 1 oz or less per lb of body weight.

Isn't is much more than the 3% body weight?
Is it because it is grounded, so it contained more juice than home made, so we have to give them more?

So am I giving Mui Mui the right amount? I know people said let kitten eat as much as they want, but Mui Mui eats all the food I give her every single meal. I feed her 4-5 times a day, and 1-2 oz per meal (if it is the last meal at night, I will give more). But she is always rushing to the food, looks like she is hungry. But she does not meow for food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Cat

I've never stuck to suggested feeding amounts on pet foods. I would say apply the same rules as with home prepared raw. If the individual cat starts looking a little portly or ribby, tweak amounts as necessary.

Last edited by RachelsaurusRexU; 11-19-2010 at 07:47 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you for your advice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 01:33 AM
Cat

You're welcome
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobe View Post
So on Rad Cats instruction, it said feed 3-4 oz twice a day for a 8 lbs cat. So it will be approximately 1 oz or less per lb of body weight.

Isn't {th}is much more than the 3% body weight?
Yeah, I'm curious about the same thing.

Zooey is 12.5 years old and 17.3 pounds. His ideal might be about 16 to 16.5 pounds, or so.

He used to eat between 2/3 and 1 cup of kibble a day. Now he eats between 1/2 and 2/3 cup kibble a day. Yeah, he has slowed down this past year.

I switched him to RadCat this past week and he likes it. Gobbles it all down.

Based on 3%, he should get about 8 oz a day.
Based on the RadCat instructions, he would get about 16 oz a day!

A half-cup of RadCat is about 3.5 oz ... I really can't see giving him over a cup of food per meal twice a day.

I'm still trying to collect data and get up to speed with the raw food diet. I'd appreciate hearing of anyone's first hand experience in feeding RadCat. If nothing else, I guess Koobe and I can share our results as our experiments continue.

Eventually, I too intend to serve a mix of homemade and RadCat, but I want to learn more first and see how he does on the RadCat for a while.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelsaurusRexU View Post
I've never stuck to suggested feeding amounts on pet foods. I would say apply the same rules as with home prepared raw. If the individual cat starts looking a little portly or ribby, tweak amounts as necessary.
Yes, exactly. Start with 3% and watch the cat's weight. Is he gaining too much? Cut back a bit. Starting to lose more than he should? Add a bit.

Even cats that weigh exactly the same may need to eat different amounts, based on their own personal metabolism (fast, slow, etc.).

Koobe, let the kitten eat as much as she wants, up to and unless she starts getting fat. When / if you can't feel her ribs, then it's time to cut back a bit.

Regards!

AC
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Right now, Cheetah, Panther and Mui Mui eats about 24 oz in 24 hrs period.

Panther is about 13 lbs, he should eat 6.24 oz (3% body weight).
Cheetah is about 9 lbs, he should eat 4.32 oz.
Mui Mui is 4 months and maybe 5 lbs, she should eat 4.8 oz (6% body weight)

That adds up to 15.36oz. But they eat very close to 24 oz per day.
Panther is still growing, but I think Cheetah will stay between 9-10 lbs and he has been staying that weight for 5+ months. So factoring all variables, they still should not eat 24 oz per day.

So I think Rad Cats has less actual meat per oz. What do you think?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy View Post
Yes, exactly. Start with 3% and watch the cat's weight. Is he gaining too much? Cut back a bit. Starting to lose more than he should? Add a bit.

Even cats that weigh exactly the same may need to eat different amounts, based on their own personal metabolism (fast, slow, etc.).

Koobe, let the kitten eat as much as she wants, up to and unless she starts getting fat. When / if you can't feel her ribs, then it's time to cut back a bit.

Regards!

AC
I let Mui Mui eat quite a lot, and she finished her food 98% of the time. Last night she threw up (first time since we have her). The amount she threw up was almost the size of this body. I think Mui Mui ate too much. LOL

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobe View Post
Right now, Cheetah, Panther and Mui Mui eats about 24 oz in 24 hrs period.

Panther is about 13 lbs, he should eat 6.24 oz (3% body weight).
Cheetah is about 9 lbs, he should eat 4.32 oz.
Mui Mui is 4 months and maybe 5 lbs, she should eat 4.8 oz (6% body weight)

That adds up to 15.36oz. But they eat very close to 24 oz per day.
Panther is still growing, but I think Cheetah will stay between 9-10 lbs and he has been staying that weight for 5+ months. So factoring all variables, they still should not eat 24 oz per day.

So I think Rad Cats has less actual meat per oz. What do you think?
If your cats are active and still growing and have a high metabolism, I can totally see them eating that much.

If you're feeding 24 ozs a day and your cats are maintaining their body condition (that is, NOT specifically their weight - since they're still growing - but their fat to muscle ratio), then 24 ozs a day is what you SHOULD be feeding them.

As to what's in Rad Cat, what does the ingredients list show? I don't feed commercial, so I have no experience with this food.

Reference Mui Mui throwing up, it does sound as if she's finally found - and exceeded - maximum capacity. *grin*

AC
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy View Post
As to what's in Rad Cat, what does the ingredients list show? I don't feed commercial, so I have no experience with this food.
Free-range chicken thigh and leg meat, free-range chicken heart, free-range chicken liver, filtered water, organic egg yolk, human-grade bone meal, organic kelp, organic dulse, gelatin, organic psyllium husk powder, wild salmon oil, manganese gluconate.
The turkey one is the same but with turkey.

In the short term, perhaps it is hard to judge how much food cats who are new to the raw diet should get since, at least in my Zooey's case, they seem to be wiling to eat all they can get of tasty, tasty raw meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page