Seeing More Fleas - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Seeing More Fleas

I've been finding more fleas on my 2 cats lately but I have no plans of applying flea poison to them. I have let Cubby out back into the enclosure a few times and I'd bet money he picked up some fleas in the process, and he huddled up in a corner and just waited for me to take him back in, so I may not let him out there at all any more. Fleas may be looking to hitch hike a warm ride into a warmer place for the Winter.

I removed about 6 fleas of Cubby this morning, and killed them, and then vacuumed the 5 rooms of carpet.

Was not glad to see more fleas but I think they'll be OK w/o flea poison if I do what I can to keep fleas from multiplying too much. I'm going to spread Diatomaceous Earth around the enclosure soon. If I didn't let them out back at all I think I could come close to making them flea less, but Luke wants to go out most days and hang out in there a while..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Cat Addict

I go through this periodically with fleas - once every two years or so the hot dry weather conditions add up to an outbreak for my five outdoor cats.

Honestly, I think Advantage does a great job, and my cats are fine with it. One application is all it takes.

Frontline is something I use sparingly, maybe twice a year, when ticks are really bad. But Advantage is best when fleas are the main problem.

Meanwhile I am vacuuming like crazy, emptying the vacuum cannister immediately outside and also throwing everything possible into a hot wash. The results are very good and the outbreak is brief.

I can understand your aversion to these comericial products - some cats do react.

This year for the first time I used food-grade diatomaceous earth for internal parasites for my ferals.
I understand it also works as a dust for fleas. You can sprinkle some on your cat's bedding and even lightly dust your cat with it.

DE is so inexpensive that I think next time I'll sprinkle it on the carpets too.

Please let us hear about your results.

P.S. My order for food-grade DE was back-ordered from a reliable New England company for a week. When I called them they explained that demand was unprecedented due to the "bedbug problem."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Hi,

I'd never spread DE on my carpeting again. I tried that several years ago and almost ruined my vacuum with it. It's extremely dry and dries out the vac motor and I'm sure would ruin it if you used DE enough. I hated DE indoors and so did the cats. It made everything seem dry as a bone, and dusty. Outdoors is a different story, or internally for cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Cat Addict

Wow, I didn't know that. It kind of sounds like that dust used for cleaning carpets, which completely made my vacuum cleaner DOA a few years ago. That stuff was death to the filter.

I did very lightly dust my bedspring and mattress with DE to kill dust mites. (OK, I saw the scary commercials.) A few days later I vacuumed it up. No ill effects, but I do sleep with windows open, even in cold weather.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Cool Cat

I've seen a recomendation for table salt in the carpet.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenport ferals View Post
Wow, I didn't know that. It kind of sounds like that dust used for cleaning carpets, which completely made my vacuum cleaner DOA a few years ago. That stuff was death to the filter.

I did very lightly dust my bedspring and mattress with DE to kill dust mites. (OK, I saw the scary commercials.) A few days later I vacuumed it up. No ill effects, but I do sleep with windows open, even in cold weather.
DE is very dry and gritty and seems to penetrate into vacuum machine motors. I've never replaced my vac filter but I should, especially since I stopped using DE indoors.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Cat

Darn, I was hoping that the flea update would be that you weren't seeing anymore. Darn.

I noticed that my white cat, who has always had an issue with ear mites, does not have them anymore and I've not used any medication since starting on raw...was hoping the same news for fleas.

Thanks for the update.

I still toot the horn of FleaBusters for your carpets and furniture. I've used them twice now and they totally and completely work. It's safe, all natural and you are guaranteed no fleas for a year. When I use it, it always lasts longer than a year. The last time it was still going after 5 years.

Downside? Initial cost can be alarming but if you consider how much you spend on other products trying to kill fleas, multiply it by at least a year, (although you could go more), it turns out cheaper.

No shampooing of carpets for that year. So get the carpets done first, when they are dry, have FleaBusters come over.

No poisons, no clogging up vacuums, no fuss, no bites, no fleas. It totally works.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Cat

It's only the time of the year, and I'd bet I won't have to resort to flea poisons.

I tried to find fleas on Cubby this morning and only found one, so that's an improvement. This is manageable, but with the kibble I used to feed them, I can remember how fleas used to really hassle the heck out of them. Flea poisons were a must back then but no longer are, so I won't have to worry about that any more.. I'd rather they had a few fleas on them once in a while than flea poison that could possibly jeopardize their health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page