Fish oil question. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Fish oil question.

I have a question about fish oil. Can too much of it cause specific symptoms like itching and shedding, especially if it isn't a top quality natural oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior Cat

I imagine it would. Processing is something that isn't highly controlled in pet products.. and -anything- could sneak it's way in that could cause issues.

I wonder if you'd be able to find a way to get deer meat? It's high in Omegas and about as preservative free as possible...

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Banned

I'm sure it could. One of the issues with fish is that it has a high level of histamines... if the oil isn't pure..., well, there you go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Ok then, there I go!

Well, this now brings up a delima for me. I've been giving additional fish oil this whole time, daily, just a small amount. When I was feeding the first batch of rabbit, from supplier #1, one of the kitties got a small amount of constipation. I was feeding the good quality oil though, the stuff recommended on the Little Big Cat site. But the kitties did so good on it. But now I'm wondering if the guy made my grind as directed! I asked to have the head ground in the mix, to take advantage of the natural oils and whatever else is in there, so I wouldn't have to add the extra fish oil. I had to add it anyway.

So now the meat from supplier #2 I have no doubt is made per my request. The first half of the batch I was just finishing up the remaing amount of the good fish oil, and then this last half I bought the cheaper stuff. They've been itching more this last half of the batch it seems. They were really bad when they were getting the batch with the beef in, but it got better the next batch without it in. I only made one small batch with the beef in though, a weeks worth, and they weren't getting fish oil that week.

I stopped giving the oil to my test subject, Lucy, this last weekend. Her hair is getting more full already, but she still has this greasy feel to her coat, it's just weird. I can't describe it other than to say it's just like human greasy hair. She is itching less though too, so I'm going to stop giving it to everyone. I would imagine it will just take time to get it out of their system if the oil is a contributing factor. What makes me mad is now I really am wondering if supplier #1 even made my mix per my request, or if I just got what was in his freezer at the time.

My order of Hare Today rabbit meat did not get here today, even thought the website said it was a two day transport. This means it will be in route for 3 days! What will this mean as far as the quality of the meat now, will it still be frozen? Or at least saveable?

Oh, also, they refused venison, I tried. Even my one that will eat anything refused it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Senior Cat

My cats -always- refuse new meats. Always. I just keep offering, over and over, mixing it with things they like and using beefheart "juice" (I know that isn't an option for you, but maybe the mixing will be) to entice them. You can't just give up because they refuse to eat it for a few weeks. Keep at it! Venison has such a different smell than regular meat because of the lack of processing and human interaction.

I wonder if you just switched back to the good brand of fish oil, if that would solve the issues? Certainly would be a nice, easy fix.

*Edit: Also! If they DO get better on the GOOD fish oil, please attempt to add in other meats again! Variety is soooo good for them. H

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByACat View Post
Ok then, there I go!

Well, this now brings up a delima for me. I've been giving additional fish oil this whole time, daily, just a small amount.

My order of Hare Today rabbit meat did not get here today, even thought the website said it was a two day transport. This means it will be in route for 3 days! What will this mean as far as the quality of the meat now, will it still be frozen? Or at least saveable?

Oh, also, they refused venison, I tried. Even my one that will eat anything refused it.
Oh, I'm sorry, OwnedByACat, I wouldn't have been so short and off the cuff with my answer if I'd realized it was you asking the question... I'm so swamped with the whole work/schoolwork/parenting thing, I shouldn't even be on CF; I can't stay away, so I tend to make my responses wicked short. I do apologize!

First things - You don't really *need* fish oil. It's a supplement that's offered because we know that most of the animals we're feeding to our pets are not grass-fed, as they used to be, and so their Omega 3 / Omega 6 balance is off (too low / too high, respectively). I'm not sure if there's another way to add in Omega 3's, but those who grind their foods might know...

Second - I think your Hare Today order will be just fine. Mine took 3 days to get to me at the height of summer and the food was still frozen (although beginning to thaw around the edges). Don't worry!

Third - I'm familiar with that greasy coat you've got with Lucy; my Rachel had what sounds like a similar problem, mostly on her back towards her tail. You could actually see the grease in the hair.

For Rachel, several months on a fully raw diet and it eventually faded. Maybe once you get the kinks worked out of Lucy's diet, her's will to?

Best of luck!

Regards.

AC
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

No worries AC...........I took it as humor! LOL! That's why I started my post the way I did. I wasn't offended in the least bit!

Thanks for the additional post, especially that last part. My little beautiful Lucy is very special to me, her and her beautiful long coat. It breaks my heart to see what she's become, so that's probably why I'm not as patient as I should be. Although honestly, I think I've been D*M patient through this past year and a half!

I was only adding in the additional oil because of the constipation with the one, and I thought if one has problems, they probably all do. I won't be adding it in anymore though, especially since now realizing that the issue was probably because my first mix wasn't done the way I wanted it.

I think eventually I will feel a bit more confident to add more types of meat in. Right now I'm just concentrating on finding a solution to all of this. I may be getting closer though............I shouldn't really jinx it though, should I!!!!!!!!!!!!! :0 )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page