Egypt's Sensitive Tummy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Egypt's Sensitive Tummy

Last week, my cat Egypt was put on an antibiotic for chronic diarrhea, and intermittent vomiting, both of which has started about a month back. She would seem to get better every now and again. Then, a couple of weeks later, it would start up again. I was very alarmed and thought she was infested with some internal parasites.

We rushed to the Vet's. His theory was that her tummy is sensitive and she could not tolerate digesting such a heavy raw meal at night. Until that point, I was feeding her canned Weruva (chicken varieties only) in the morning and raw at night. So, his suggestion was to switch the feedings around and give her the antibiotics for a week. It's been 3 full days and her stools have been beautiful and not one episode of vomiting or any sign of regurgitation at all.

I was skeptic at first thinking why would it make a difference when she ate what? But, it really has. So now I feed her a light canned meal at night and her digestive process has been entirely back to normal. Of course, this could all be due to the antibiotics so the true test will be if the same result is yielded with the same time change in feedings once the antibiotics have been discontinued.

I'll post in another 2 weeks or so to report back on her progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned

What a relief, eh, Dweamgoil? Hopefully, she'll be ok when the antibiotics are finished, too.

The real test of the vet's diagnosis would be to first see how she does off the antibiotics, and then to switch her feedings back the way they were and see how she does. If it's just some kind of bug and the antibiotic killed it off, it won't matter when she gets fed what; if the vet is correct, she'll start having digestive upsets again.

Of course, that's not an easy thing to steel yourself up to test for!

<<hugs!!>> So glad she's feeling better!

AC
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks, Auntie. Yes, once the antibiotics are done, I am hoping she'll still be doing well. However, I am not sure if I am brave enough to test reversing the feedings again. Maybe in a few months down the line or so, but not right away. I am not a gambling woman I am just so relieved that she's back to normal for now. I am much more inclined to leave well enough alone if her stomach holds up over time.

*still keeping my fingers crossed*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Premier Cat

I can understand your point, dweamgoil. It's more important for Egypt to feel better than for you or us to understand what the various causes might have been. Regardless of the cause, I hope you've now found the solution and that Egypt feels better going forward!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks, Susan. I will report back and maybe if she's still doing well, I'll reconsider reversing the feedings in a month or so for a limited time. I just want to make sure she is entirely ok first before trying to prove or disprove that she may have caught a bug vs. her sensitive tummy issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page