They like whole raw better than ground. :) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat

They like whole raw better than ground. :)

Still working on transitioning my girls. Neither of them seemed too thrilled about the Nature's Variety medallions I gave them, so I took the plunge and bought some boneless chicken breast. After the first couple meals giving me looks of "WTF is this??" the girls are now both eating small pieces of raw chicken breast with Prowl. Sidonie is eating enthusiastically; Sabrina is still hesitant, but cleans her bowl anyway.

I much prefer the look of the whole meat to the look of the medallions. So much cleaner. The medallions tend to look kind of grey. I'm going back to Whole Foods pretty soon to try to add some variety to the type of raw meats they get - I don't want them to get used to chicken and become resistant to anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Cat Addict

Whole Foods has some nice ground bison as well. Although they have organic and hormone free, etc. They don't have too much in the way of variety. I would try to scope out an Asian market near you. It will be a whole new world...trust me
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I'm Asian, I've been going to those markets since I was a child. Whole Foods is closer and will give me enough variety for awhile. I think I'm going to stay away from ground meats for awhile, though. Has anyone else had this experience, with their cats preferring whole raw over ground?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Senior Cat

My Dads cat absolutely REFUSED raw ground. Refused. Wouldn't even eat it mixed with canned.

Offered him whole chunks as a last resort, and he ate everything we gave him fine! Even organ only took him a few tries and covering it with heart blood and he was good.

Kelly

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Cat Addict

I just meant eventually you will need to feed organ meat, and I have never seen any variety of organs at Whole Foods besides maybe chicken liver and that's about it.

I have never been a big fan of ground as a diet staple since most others who feed ground here, usually supplement it with added vitamins, and it has to be mixed in a certain proportion, etc. I'd rather stick to Frankenprey. I find the cats enjoy the experience of eating more that way (tearing, shredding, etc.)

However, having said that, ocassionally I do feed ground beef, and my cats have never had a problem eating it, but it's a very small portion of their diet; every now and again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenakedorchid View Post
I'm Asian, I've been going to those markets since I was a child. Whole Foods is closer and will give me enough variety for awhile. I think I'm going to stay away from ground meats for awhile, though. Has anyone else had this experience, with their cats preferring whole raw over ground?
I have tried other raw than Rad Cats, and yes, they look grey, and green too. And my cats do not like them. Rad Cats and Feline's Pride are the 2 brands that come out looking fresh. My cats love them, but I try not to feed them ground all the time. I want them to chew and bite.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page