Imprinting on one kind of raw meat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Imprinting on one kind of raw meat?

Sidonie can and will eat anything I put in front of her, and will be just fine. She's eaten raw (diced) chicken, salmon and beef so far. All approved by her belly.

But Sabrina, as usual, is a little more difficult. For one thing, she won't touch any raw meat unless it has been drizzled with Prowl. For another thing, she pukes anytime I give her any other raw meat but chicken. Ok, well I suppose the only other kind I've given her was raw beef, and she always throws that up regardless of whether it's in ground or whole (diced) form. As you can imagine, she won't touch the stuff again regardless of how hungry she is. It makes me nervous to try other things with her, because I'm worried she'll throw it all up and end up refusing everything but chicken. I'm going to attempt to give her salmon tomorrow, and see if that sits in her tummy a little better.

Has anyone else had experiences with cats imprinting on one kind of raw meat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Hmm... I take that back about Sidonie. She just threw up her beef as well.

Perhaps I made the change to a new meat too quickly. But what I'm worried will happen if I mix the beef in with chicken is that the small amount of beef will make them throw it all up, then causing them to avoid chicken as well, even though it doesn't make them vomit. What to do.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Premier Cat

My Patches is extremely finicky, and very much a one protein source kind of cat! Her eating habits frustrate me to no end some days! She's definitely got her quirks. It took me forever to transition her to canned wet, I started her out on shredded cooked chicken with parmesan cheese, and then slowely added Wellness turkey. She would only eat canned Wellness turkey, and sometimes chicken. There was only a couple other brands of turkey that she would eat.

When we started having problems with allergies, I switched to raw rabbit. First Natures's Variety, and then whole ground rabbit. Each switch to something new was at least a weeks transition, but it has to be rabbit, she won't accept anything else. If she eats it, then I switch her to something new, it takes a minimum of a week. If I switch her back to the previous food, she refuses it, and it's like transitioning her all over.

Right now her little quirk is refusing between each new batch, and it takes a couple days to get her back on track. She's started doing this really funny, yet really odd thing. If she refuses to eat her rabbit, I put 4 small kibbles of dry in the dish, and then she eats right away, leaving the kibble. It's just so weird! After a couple days she's back on track, and will eat without the kibble in the dish.

She's definitely a one protein source cat though. She'd rather starve than eat something new! She can be very stubborn! Thankfully though, no vomiting. That was reduced to next to nothing after switching to raw.

Last edited by OwnedByACat; 12-09-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I've heard that rabbit is easier to digest for cats than other meats. Maybe it's because they're related to rodents and cats eat a lot of those in the wild? Not sure. I'm certain that my Whole Foods Market doesn't have any rabbit. Maybe I should hit up an asian food store like dweamgoil was telling me.

I googled cats throwing up raw food on the internet and found many people saying that many cats don't handle beef very well. Perhaps it is just a beef thing, and other meats won't bother them so much. I will try to hunt down some rabbit, thanks!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenakedorchid View Post
I've heard that rabbit is easier to digest for cats than other meats. Maybe it's because they're related to rodents and cats eat a lot of those in the wild? Not sure. I'm certain that my Whole Foods Market doesn't have any rabbit. Maybe I should hit up an asian food store like dweamgoil was telling me.

I googled cats throwing up raw food on the internet and found many people saying that many cats don't handle beef very well. Perhaps it is just a beef thing, and other meats won't bother them so much. I will try to hunt down some rabbit, thanks!
Yep, many cats don't tolerate beef very well. If it's something that would make your life easier to add to their diet, you can try adding very small pieces here and there, then slowly increasing the frequency and amount (but keep the pieces small); eventually, some cats become less sensitive.

I have one cat who has issues with beef-sourced organs. If I chop the pieces fine and mix them with another meat, he keeps it down no problem and if I consistently feed beef-sourced organs (which I did before I started ordering from Hare Today) he becomes less sensitive to the products and I don't have to mix it as much.

Regards.

AC
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the advice! I'd like to feed them beef because it is readily available. I'll integrate it into their diet more slowly.

Good news, though: I got Sabrina to eat her pork and keep it down!! She's still not happy about it but I WILL get her eating a variety of meats, doggone it!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Cat

Beef and Lamb are tricky. Cheetah has been eating everything well. Panther threw up beef, lamb and rabbit. He throw up 2nd batch of the rabbit every time (even if it comes from the same rabbit). I still haven't figured this out. So they have been on no beef, no lamb diet for the past year. A month ago, Panther came to me when I was making steak. I gave him a tiny piece and he did not throw up.

So far I have been giving my kitties chicken, turkey, pork, quail, and occasionly rabbit.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Senior Cat

We must have tolerant kitties.. we feed mostly beef, with other stuff. Lots of lamb and venison, chicken, quail, turkey and rabbit. Some pork. But I'd say the bulk or our diet is beef.. no one has any issues. This is the first I've heard of cats not being too tolerant! *off to research*

Kelly

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I guess everyone has different experiences with different kitties! Oh well, I guess it's going to be trial and error the whole way. I'm off to Central Market to see what they can offer in the way of more unusual meats.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I went to Central Market, Whole Foods Market and Viet Hoa today. None of them had any rabbit! I have some good variety to work with between the three, but I can't believe that none of them carried rabbit meat. Luckily I googled meat markets in my area and found a website for one specialty meat shop that looks promising.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page